swapping hard drives between two MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ansabakhan, Sep 2, 2010.

1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i have two exact same 17 inch MBPs i am thinking on selling one , one has a lot of stickers and marks on it and the data on that is not at all important (i can format the hard drive no problem). the other one body has very clean and data on that is important lots and lots of photos and videos .

i want to sell the one which has clean body so i can get better $ for it.

it is possible to just swap hard drives between these two identical MBPs and sell ?

would that make any different in performance and also the serial number on ABOUT THIS MAC is that written on hard drive or some place else?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If they are similar machines, it will work without any issues.

3. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

thank you .. well its almost similar ... same processor ,screen and size BUT different hard drives speed (one is 5400 and other is 7200) and the ram is different which i can swap easily too .

my main concern it some one buying it from me ... would they know if i swap the hard drives?how about the serial number on the ABOUT THIS MAC screen? thanks

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

HD speed and RAM don't matter. In fact, nothing really matters as it should work just fine. What you mean by the difference?

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

it will work no matter, with the exception if they have different OS's like server and client, then the server wont boot on older and smaller machines.

I have done this many times, it just takes a little longer to boot because it has to figure out what drivers to use (their already there)

6. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i will be using my sisters hard drive , from her laptop and install it in mine and sell it ... would that effect the warranty in any way? if the next owner takes it in to apple for any repair .. would apple look at it and say we cant service this because hard drive was changed?

7. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

no, you are covered under warranty to change hard drive and ram.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The hard drive you put in it won't be covered by Apple. If you want to save the hassle, just connect them with FireWire cable and transfer all the data. Then swipe the HD that is going to be sold

9. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

both these system were bought around the same time (from refurb store) and they both are still under warranty .. so changing it in computer would void warranty on the hard drives?