Swapping Hard Drives from Macbook to Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by desktopgeo, Sep 7, 2008.

1. desktopgeo macrumors newbie

Hi, I currently have a Macbook with a 320gb harddrive that I bought on ebay. I'm set to receive a Macbook Pro with a 250gb harddrive. I plan to swap the drives as I will be using the Pro from here on out and giving the Macbook to someone who doesnt need the extra space.

I'm gonna back up my data of course, but I'm wondering if all my files from the Macbook harddrive be retained in the transfer to the pro. When I boot up the Pro will it be as if everything shows up as it had on the Macbook?

Also, for the tools I need to replace the Macbook Pro harddrive, the #00 Philips screwdriver, T6 torx, and spudger.. can I pick these up in computer stores or the local hardware stores?

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It should, just the special drivers for the MacBook Pro might be missing, but you can do an Archive and Install afterwards.

3. desktopgeo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, awesome. Thanks!

Anyone know anything about where to get the tools I need?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

5. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I would do an archive and install the first time you boot it up, to get all the drivers. Other than that it would work fine. I'm planning on doing the same thing soon.

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Spudgers are cheaper (with shipping) on ebay. The micro drivers will be cheaper at a hardware store than at a computer store. Your best bet is to look for a small kit - that will last you through many laptop incarnations as Apple seems to change its mind on drivers for each model.