Swapping hard Drives

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by greenbags125, Dec 17, 2007.

1. greenbags125 macrumors newbie

I have a 15" MBP with 100GB hard drive (I know, the first MBPs were a horrible deal). I really want to get the 320GB 5400RPM WD Scorpio or the 200GB 7200RPM Seagate Momentous. I have two questions, which drive should I get? The difference in price is $60 (150 vs 210) but the diff in capacity is huge. I guess my question is, will the 7200 RPM drive be considerably faster than my 5400 right now? Secondly, I really want to be able to copy all of my stuff just like a Mac to Mac Firewire transfer and copy it back to my new HDD after the swap. I have a FW hard drive, but I am not sure if it is possible to copy it onto the drive and then copy it back. Also, if it is, can anyone post instructions and the amount of difficulty? Installing the HDD is not a factor, I know it is difficult, I will get someone to install it for me. Thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Firstly, what do you use your machine for. Extra space is almost always a good thing. However, if you have an external drive then it may be a good idea to go for the faster drive and then keep extra data stored on the external for an overall faster computing experience.

Secondly, you can use an app like Carbon Copy Cloner to make a clone of your current drive onto the Firewire drive. You can then use Migration Assistant to get the data back onto the new drive if you wish. If the Firewire case is a 2.5" case, the n it might be easier to simply place the old drive from the Mac into the enclosure and use Migration Assistant from there.

3. MST macrumors 6502

MST

I was seriously considering the 7200RPM 200GB Seagate Momentus for my MacBook, but after having read a review I now have my mind firmly set on the 7200RPM Hitachi Travelstar 200GB, plus it's slightly cheaper.

4. .mark. macrumors 6502

anyone know if 7200rpm drives run hotter than 5400rpm. common sense would say they will but I was wondering if anyone has any real world experience of installing the faster drive and then their mbp being noticeably hotter?!

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The general consensus seems to be that the heat difference isn't noticeable. :)