swapping harddrives between macs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by morrisman1, Nov 18, 2008.

1. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

im looking at buying a new macbook. i currently have a 2.2 C2D model with 10.5.5. will i be able to swap the harddrives with the one in the new macbook? i know they will physically work but will OSX throw a hissy-fit being in a different machine than what it has been updated for etc?

thanks

2. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

It will throw a fit. The new MacBooks are running a different build of OS X. Stuff for the trackpad and GPU I think. Your best bet is to do a Time Machine backup and then transfer all your stuff to your new machine from that.

3. morrisman1 thread starter macrumors 6502

if i wait till both systems are running the same build, will that help?

4. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I don't think so. I don't think your current MacBook will ever have drivers for the new MacBooks, so when you install the hard drive in your new computer, it'll cause problems.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You can swap the drives, then use the install disks to do an upgrade or Archive and Install of Leopard. Should eliminate any problems, though keep in mind it may introduce new ones. Easier than a Time Machine backup though, although I would recommend doing that anyways.

jW

6. MysterMac macrumors member

7. MysterMac macrumors member

Success ! I installed the combo update, rebooted then shut down. Took out the hd and put it into the new macbook. Booted, for the first time in my life saw a mac's black boot screen (scary, reminded me of windows !) and success !
    All I've had to do so for was re-calibrate the screen colorwise.

Although it may now be academic as Ive just noticed the top row of keys (brightness/volume etc) on this new macbook are slanted. Looks like its going back, sigh - I just became a statistic.