Swapping HD from 1st gen macbookpro to new macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hellbent, Sep 8, 2009.

1. hellbent macrumors newbie

Alright i have a new white macbook, that i got from my school for free. It is loaded with admin permissions and stuff, so i want to swap in my HD from my 1st gen macbook pro with a non core duo intel(i think it was the second update of the mackbookpro after it was released) Would this work out alright? ive heard that they will fit into the macbook, but i just dont know about how it will work if it has the different hardware in the computer.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Nope, it most likely won't work straight away.

The OS X installed on that Pro is setup for the hardware of that pro. You'll most likely run in to quite a few driver/setup issues. Your best bet would be to pick up an external enclosure, and set the Pro's HD up as an external drive, and use Migration Assistant to move all your stuff to the HD in the new MacBook.

3. hellbent thread starter macrumors newbie

yea but the problem is that i dont have administrator access to the computer and i cant even do things like download or delete files

4. ebika macrumors 6502

If you are not concerned with keeping the files on the drive from your mbp, you could put the drive in and do a fresh OS X install. You could also back up the files somewhere (Time Machine, etc.) then put the drive in and do a fresh install.

Are you trying to keep the school's setup on the white macbook intact?