Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pkh540

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Washington
Just received my 2012 2.6GHz MBP with a Hitachi 750GB/7200rpm drive. Removed the HD and replaced with my Samsung 830/256GB from my Early 2011 MBP. Turned on the new MBP and got a grey screen with an icon showing a circle with a line through it.

Put everything back in original order. Started the new MBP with the Hitachi and completed the setup. Again, turned off the new MBP and swapped the drives and same thing happened.

Each time I swapped, I replaced the SSD in my previous MBP and started without any issues... So I haven't screwed up the SSD nor the new MBP with the Hitachi HD. Just can't get the new MBP to see the Samsung SSD. (BTW, holding down the opt. key with the new MBP and the Samsung SSD installed shows Macintosh HD, Windows 7 (bootcamp) and Recovery HD. I can boot into Win 7 - though keyboard/trackpad does not work so I have to hold down the power button to restart - but not Macintosh HD which is the Samsung SSD.)

Any ideas? Thanks!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
2012 MBPs ship with a newer OS X version. You either have to wait for an update that brings the OS versions on-par (I guess that's 10.7.5) or you need to do a clean install (you can then migrate your data from a backup).

pkh540

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Washington
Thanks for thesuggestion... Just checked... The installed OS on the Samsung SSD is 10.7.4 (11E53) and the OS on the Hitachi HD is 10.7.4 (11E2617). I checked for software updates (they're only a few) and none were OS related (iTunes, Airport, etc.).

Can't imagine the OS build version would make a difference and again, there's no OS update for the OS on the SSD.

300DDR

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for thesuggestion... Just checked... The installed OS on the Samsung SSD is 10.7.4 (11E53) and the OS on the Hitachi HD is 10.7.4 (11E2617). I checked for software updates (they're only a few) and none were OS related (iTunes, Airport, etc.).

Can't imagine the OS build version would make a difference and again, there's no OS update for the OS on the SSD.

Hellhammer is correct, it's the OS. What you could do is backup/clone the SSD to a third drive to another drive. Then clone "new" hard drive to SSD. That should boot, you can verify. Then use migration assistant to move everything from the "third" drive to the SSD (now installed and working in your computer).

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

It is. 2012 MBP needs drivers that are only included in the build it ships with. When 10.7.4 was released, those drivers weren't needed yet. This happens with pretty much every hardware update.

pkh540

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Washington
Thanks Hellhammer and 300DDR... I'm at the genius bar and yes, need updated kernel extensions for the newer hardware. We're trying rebuilding via the recovery partition and then reinstalling the updated build of the OS. Will update if that works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.