Swapping HD into Same Machine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ipodlover77, Jun 22, 2011.

1. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Hey guys, I know mixing HDD's from other comps won't work (dell to HP etc etc) but I was wondering if switching the HD into the same spec computer will work.

Looking to put my momentus XT from my 2011 13" macbook pro into another 2011 13" macbook pro. Same specs. Will the hard drive work fine or do I have to restore and reformat all over again. Just asking cause I have alot of data already on the hard drive and don't want to go through the trouble of installing and copying music again.

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

it would work, but it's going to be exactly how the other computer was, same OS, user accounts, downloads, settings, etc, for better or worse..

3. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

As stated it works fine. I had my Momentus XT in my new 2011 15 MBP and it developed problems (keyboard key response issues, a hardware problem). I took it to Apple and they verified it needed to be changed. I removed the HDD and replaced with the original drive. They swapped out the computer as it was less than a week old. I took the new one home and swapped over the drive, restarted, and resumed working exactly where I left off from, no updates or changes necessary.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Hard drives are standard parts, you can switch the momentus XT from your computer to any SATA II capable computer provided it fits in the slot. So it could go in a dell, toshiba, lenovo, hp, whatever without issue.

If you mean switching without erasing and reinstalling the OS and drivers onto the hard drive, then, only the very same model will work.

5. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I had a 2008 MBP that developed fan noise after a few days. The Apple store replaced it with a new machine and just swapped HDs from the machine with the noise as it was already heavily configured.

So same model MACs seem to work fine with HD swap.

6. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

I had the 500GB Momentus XT HDD/SDD Hybrid in my 2011 MBP and it did fine. No issues ever. Just recently sold it in favor of a 750GB 7200RPM Seagate. You can put any 2.5" hard drive in there and be just fine (as long as it fits).

Switching to identical computers: That'll do okay for Mac, good luck on Windows :p. Good thing about Mac :D

I personally like to do a fresh install and start over w/ a new hard drive, better performance IMO.

7. Darien Red Sox macrumors regular

Not true, an updated OS version will be able to run on any Mac that supports that OS and was released before the most recent update. I have booted up an iMac from a MBP drive attached via USB without a problem. I work in IT and because of this the Mac images are simple to deal with, one image for each OS. Windows on the other hand is not as simple and then this statement would be true.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

I was talking in general, including windows computers.