Swapping HDD from older MBP to new Unibody MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danp212, Jul 29, 2009.

1. danp212 macrumors newbie

greetings, I have a new 2.53 Macbook Pro coming in the mail this week and I want to swap my current 7200rpm drive from a Second Generation 2.16 Core Duo Macbook Pro into my new computer. My question is this:

Would it be a better idea to erase the drive before swapping it to the new Unibody MBP, or can I just throw it in and run off the current OS installed on it (10.5.7). The OS should be the same on the new computer since its the same most current version of Leopard. I dont really know if this is possible since its an entirely different computer.

I do heavy audio programming work so I need the maximum amount of performance possible. Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It would be best to re-install the system, as the drivers on the old MBP won't match the one needed on the new uMBP.

And I think the new uMBP will have a bigger drive than the old MBP, unless you switched it for a faster an d bigger drive already.
    If that is not the case, you can use Migration Assistant to copy your old MBP's account to the new uMBP and don't need to do a fresh install.