Swapping HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bionicle805, Sep 30, 2010.

1. bionicle805 macrumors newbie

Switching from Windows to Mac.

I'm thinking of buying a mbp 13'', pre-installed with iWork. And replace the stock hdd with a 7200 rpm hdd.

From what I've read, is backup-ing with Time-Machine before swapping necessary ? Provided that the mbp is new (never boot-ed it yet) and I don't have anything important to backup (yet). I don't have a mac-formated external drive to back it up anyway.

This is what I think I should do :

1. Swap the HDD without 1st boot (New mbp)
    2. Install the OS with SL disc
    3. Update the OS

So these are my questions,
    1. Now I have 2 drives with MacOSX . Does this mean the new drive that I installed the OS on isn't genuine?
    2. Regarding the stock hdd that I took out, i could just reformat it and put an enclosure on it as a EXT hdd?
    3. Does buying the mbp pre-installed with iWork off the Apple online stores come with the iWork installation disc? If it does, then I could just reinstall it on the new drive? Would'nt it make it not genuine since there's already one in the stock HDD?
    4. What about iLife? Are there discs that come with it?

I'm new to mac , so I sincerely appreciate the answers. Thanks

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

See answers in bold.

3. bionicle805 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you :D

I'm assuming the OS and iWork use serial numbers (does it? ) and since I just installed it on a different drive. I'm just afraid that it will declare the OS/iWork on my new drive not genuine. Same goes for iLife?

4. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

The OS and iLife do not use serial numbers AFAIK. iWork used to be the same way, but they do require serial numbers now. If you have problems with declarations of not being genuine, you will obviously have proof of purchase and you can call Apple and resolve your situation simply. I don't think you'll run into that many problems...

5. bionicle805 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh, I see. Thanks :D