Swapping High-End MBP for New MBA?

thr61

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
I just upgraded from a second generation MBA to the latest 15" MBP. I went for everything and have the quad core I-7, 8 GB of RAM, 256 GB SSD, and the AMD HD 6750 graphics card. I don't think there is anything left to add.

It is fast. And it is also HEAVY and really feels like a beast next to my old MBA.

I am primarily an email, web, and office applications user. However, I do use Aperture for all of my photo work and was quite unhappy with it on the generation 2 MBA. Naturally it screams on the MBP.

My question: what will my experience be in switching it for the new 13" MBA, specifically one with the I-7 upgrade? It arrives with 4 GB of RAM and the same 256 storage (although flash vs. SSD). If anyone does have one, how has it performed for photo editing using Aperture? I am not a PhotoShop user at all and am happy with what I am getting with Aperture on the MBP

I can swap out the MBP for the MBA (complicated but possible) if the performance will not suffer horribly. I travel a fair amount and am somewhat dreading lugging the 15" MBP along.

All opinions and thoughts welcome!

Thanks.

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
You would be going from a quad-core i7 with a discrete GPU and 8GB ram to a dual-core i7, integrated graphics, and half the RAM. The SSDs should perform similarly between the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. That said, it should be significantly better than the 2nd generation MacBook Air was (by that, do you mean November 2008 or October 2010?). I'd guess it would be about halfway in between the Core 2 Duo Air and the Quad-Core i7.

I don't use Aperture for much, but the i7 has been acceptable so far.

Comment

bobbytallant

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
I am in a very similar position as the OP.

I have the 2011 MBP as is in my sig and I am strongly considering making the switch to a MBA ultimate spec. I think this will more than suit my needs as, again like the OP, mainly an email, web and office applications user - plus I think I could shift my MBP and buy the MBA with my student discount and obtain a nice £500(ish) difference in my pocket.

I also had a 2nd gen MBA a couple of years ago and do miss the feel/true portability of the MBA compared to the MBP. I sold it as I felt it was rather sluggish for everyday use - but now with the SSD / i7 MBA I should be more than fine, with the MBP I simply feel that I do not justify the power that I currently have. Time for a MBA again!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.