Swapping iMacs - iPhoto

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aprofetto, Mar 22, 2009.

1. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Hi everyone,
    I am currently using a 20" iMac, and have a 24" iMac on the way to replace my current one.

My question is this, I have lots of photos, faces, events sitting in my iPhoto, is there any to bring all of my current things in iPhoto '09 such as those listed above to my new iMac, or am I going to have to go through the tedious process of importing everything and tagging faces all over again?

Love to hear what you guys have to say!

Also, is there a similar thing for all my media in my iTunes library?

2. nusynergy macrumors regular

When setting up ya new mac use the " import from another Mac" ( or something like that) Option.

It should copy everything across.

3. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

If you want to be sure just copy the iphoto directory to the new machine

4. aprofetto thread starter macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Ah yes, I remember seeing that. Thanks!

5. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

You can copy your entire iPhoto library as if it were a single file then when you open iPhoto for the first time on the new machine, just choose this library instead of creating a new one. Presto.

6. aprofetto thread starter macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

How does it work when you choose the 'get data from another mac' option when first running your new mac?

Can anyone tell me what it does/requires?

Thanks.

7. iamoneagain macrumors newbie

Once it tells you, you need to connect the two computers either using firewire or a network cable. I wanted to use firewire but didn't have an adapter for the firewire 800, so used a network cable instead. Just follow the instructions and then it will take some time to transfer all the data. Mine took about 15 hours but I had 600gb of data.

When you finally start the new imac, it will function just like the old one. Network settings, safari favorites, photos, music, everything is the same. Easiest switch I ever made. I went from a G5 to the new one. The only minor issue I had is my Aperture software asked me for my serial number again. Once loaded, everything was there. It just runs so much faster.

There is no reason to manually transfer anything if the new imac is going to fully replace the old one.

8. aprofetto thread starter macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Sweet! Thanks for the help!