Swapping iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ohla313, Jun 13, 2010.

1. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Sorry if this was asked or answered but my friend is on ATT, as am I, and he can get the iPhone 4 16GB for 200. Is it possible he get it and then I pay him back and use it? How would I go about getting the microSIM?

Thanks!

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'm in the UK, but there's a lot of mention in the forums about ATT's 'Upgrade Swap'. Search the forums.

3. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes. Is your friend pre-ordering and does your friend understand what they are doing? They get a new two-service commitment with AT&T and their contract would now have the $325 ETF terms. They may have to pay $18 upgrade fee + sales taxes.

One Way:

Once you pay your friend for the iPhone 4, you can just go to the nearest AT&T COR location and tell them that you want a new Micro SIM, your current SIM will be deactivated and the new Micro SIM activated on your line. Now just connect your (new to you) iPhone 4 to iTunes.

Give us more details as there may be other options if your friend is close by or if you both can go to the store together.

Dave

4. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

My friend might have to pay an ETF??? Well I can go with him to the store we live real close to each other so it wouldn't be a problem

5. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Your friend will not have to pay the ETF unless he cancels his new contract. His current ETF is most likely very low on his current contract.

Yes, if both of you have a contract in your own name. Do either of you share a family plan with others? Are either of you a Retail Authorized user currently?

Dave

6. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

So if he is eligible for a full upgrade his ETF is low or nonexistent? I am on a family plan and I am not sure about him but most likely yes.

7. Psant macrumors regular

I'm going to be doing the same thing probably. What I've been told is that you request your friend upgrade the line either through pre-order to have it delivered or picked up. Then, he has to cancel the data plan that he probably had to add (unless he already had one). Next, you pay him off and then go to the AT&T store and request a microsim and activate it and pop it in. If they ask, say it was a gift, I guess.

But make sure your friend realizes that he's signing a 2 year contract and that his upgrade date will probably be in 12-18 months. Also, if wants to cancel it, then the Early Termination fee is 325 - 10(number of months on contract).

8. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

but lets say he orders it same day and cancels the next day what would the ETF be?

9. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Then he would have to pay the new $325 ETF and he can't cancel the next day, if you cancel within 30 day BRE you have to return the phone. So you can cancel but you will be wasting 30 days of service that you paid for... I am just saying, not a smart move.

You can't order and then cancel or your order will be stopped. You have to receive the phone and activate it which puts him on a new two contract and the ETF starts at $325. :eek:

So phone + activation + ETF + 30 days of service + TAX. Are you really saving anything...?

Dave

10. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

Very true go over everything with him, you might be unintentionally screwing him.

11. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

aw man so it basically isnt possible for my friend to get an iphone and avoid the termination fee...Well there's one situation I had. Where I was the first in my family to get an iPhone, I was stupid and dropped it so it cracked. So I used my dad's contract and got a second iPhone. I swapped sims and called AT&T to cancel iPhone data for my dad and they said ok and it went fine.

So basically now I can't do that??

12. Mr. Gates macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
  13. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Okay, you realize he doesn't NEED to terminate his contract, right? Just because he's giving you his iPhone, it doesn't mean he needs to cancel. If he is already an AT&T customer, the 2 year commitment may mean very little to him (unless he's planning on switching carriers). You should just let him know that if he ever wants to get out of his contract within the next 2 years, he will be paying more to do so. After that you can still just switch SIM cards (after getting a new micro SIM from AT&T) and use the iPhone normally on your account.