swapping iphone 4s 5.01 for 5.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by yui4, Apr 26, 2012.

  1. yui4 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 26, 2011
    #1
    My friend and I both bought iphone 4s last week, both unlocked.

    mine is a 32gb model and came with 5.01, his a 64gb model and came with 5.1 installed. we both normally jailbreak our phones.

    As he is unable to jailbreak his, he has offered to do a straight swap with so he can have a jailbroken phone again & i would have to wait for 5.1 to be jb'd but with the higher value / storage model for no extra money

    what would you do in my situation?

    thanks
     
  2. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

    aDRock1154

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2011
    Location:
    Ohio
    #2
    Personally I would swap and wait for a later jailbreak. Double your capacity for nothing?? Yep!
     
  3. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

    BumpyFlatline

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2012
    #3
    Wirelessly posted

    I'd swap. It seems as though the 5.1 jailbreak will be released very soon. If you follow pod2g and other dev team hackers, they've been tweeting each other very encouraging tweets. Obviously there's no guarantee but if I were in your shows, I'd swap and wait a couple weeks for the JB release. But that's my opinion. Don't blame me if the jailbreak takes a couple months or if they decide to keep the exploits in the hope that they work for ios6! Although I honestly don't think they'd do all this work just to stop and "hope" the exploits still exist in 6 months. That would be a waste.
     
  4. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2011
    #4
    The 5.1 jailbreak may not arrive. pod2g is considering saving the exploits for iOS 6.

    Anyway, jailbreaking a 4S is a mess. Sooner or later something will go wrong, and you will need to restore the phone. Bang, you are on the newest firmware, probably without a jailbreak.
     
  5. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

    BumpyFlatline

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2012
    #5
    Wirelessly posted

    As of right now, arent the odds leanig towards the fact that the same thing will be true with ios6?

    It also has the exact same bearing on 5.0.1. One problem and you're on 5.1. With both phones if you're forced to restore you're on the latest firmware. At least you'll have double the capacity if you swap phones. But to each is own. OP, Ill feel bad if I give you the wrong advice. Take what I say with a grain of salt!

    Good luck!
     
  6. yui4 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 26, 2011
    #6
    Wirelessly posted

    Thanks.

    Do you think the difference in value will narrow between 32 & 64gb buy the time the next gen is released if in October?
     
  7. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

    ZCherub

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    Location:
    GA, USA
    #7
    Depends - what do use the phone for? If it's me, I go for the larger storage since I cannot fit all of my music on a 32GB phone as it is.

    If you're not up against it storage wise, you may want to keep your jailbreak if that's very important to you. If it's me, I go for the larger memory & wait for a JB, though.
     
  8. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

    eclipse01

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    Location:
    Eau Claire, WI
    #8
    I don't think its really a mess, glitchy, maybe a little.... But for the small annoyances you have to deal with the pros definitely outweigh the cons when it comes to jailbreaking the 4s
     
  9. bwrairen macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    #9
    What makes it a mess? I've been jailbroken since the first day it was available, and find it extremely stable. I've never had to restore for a issue related to Jailbreaking.
     
  10. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2011
    #10
    Sure, you have nothing to loose by jailbreaking. If you need to restore to 5.1, you are no worse off than if you never jailbroke. :)

    Except that you know what you have lost ...
     
  11. b0bab0i macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2012
    #11
    64GB will always command a higher price and be worth more.
     
  12. yui4 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 26, 2011
    #12
    Wirelessly posted

    Thanks for all the advice, I'm going to do the swap tomorrow. I figure I can wait for the next jailbreak, if & when it arrives

    Cheers
     

Share This Page