Swapping iPhone 5 for replacement at Genius Bar - WARNING!

CmoranRVA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Swapping your phone for a replacement voids your ability to return the phone. Learned this first hand today, it's due to the phone serial # no longer matching the box. Long story short - if they have stock, return and purchase again!

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
That should fit in with common sense. The moment you do a support swap on any product instead of a return or exchange (i.e. return/repurchase) - you're losing the ability to return. This applies to any product that is tracked by a serial number.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Swapping your phone for a replacement voids your ability to return the phone. Learned this first hand today, it's due to the phone serial # no longer matching the box. Long story short - if they have stock, return and purchase again!
Man that is good to know. I'd be super pissed if I kept getting dud replacemtents and then couldn't return the phone because of that.

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
i returned mine after it was swapped at the store. Maybe theyve changed the policy but I did it Sept 22.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
That should fit in with common sense. The moment you do a support swap on any product instead of a return or exchange (i.e. return/repurchase) - you're losing the ability to return. This applies to any product that is tracked by a serial number.
Disagree. I bet more people DON'T know this versus do...

Thanks for the tip OP.

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
when I did they gave me the phone in the white box but told me it was brand new. In the store it looked fine but when I got home it had a nick in the side and other issues so I went right back and returned it for a refund.

CmoranRVA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
My original and first replacement both had reception issues not related to my carrier. I tried to exchange for another replacement on Thursday, and was denied. I brought the phone back today and was told it couldn't be returned, but they agreed to swap with a white box phone. So far, so good. Not seeing the wifi issues either. Both the original and first replacement were week 36, this one is week 37; hopefully a fix was implemented.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
This is not true. There are many reports of people swaping iPhones several times due to scuff issues and Apple finally stopping them suggesting they make a refund and wait for future better QC batches. So yes, you can return even if you swapped.

CmoranRVA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
This is not true. There are many reports of people swaping iPhones several times due to scuff issues and Apple finally stopping them suggesting they make a refund and wait for future better QC batches. So yes, you can return even if you swapped.
Well, I'm just going by what the Genius Bar Admin told me. I'm sure if you press hard enough, they'll do the exchange.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Why would you ever do a support swap instead of a retail exchange when it is within the return period?
...because they don't have retail units in stock?
Yeah, if your options are:

1. Return the phone and wait another month until they come back in stock so you can re-buy

or

2. Take this brand-new device in this other little box that was set aside specifically for this purpose.

... I'm guessing most people would go #2 (lol)

bsmsam

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
You also can't buy AppleCare+ once you swap out your phone. And it apparently takes time for your account to register AppleCare+ was purchased, so you can't buy it and swap phones at the same time. Sorry if that's been said already, just a heads up for anyone considering it. At least, this is what I was told after driving 1.5 hours to the Apple store.

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
You also can't buy AppleCare+ once you swap out your phone. And it apparently takes time for your account to register AppleCare+ was purchased, so you can't buy it and swap phones at the same time. Sorry if that's been said already, just a heads up for anyone considering it. At least, this is what I was told after driving 1.5 hours to the Apple store.
And the information is appreciated. This sure is a shady policy implemented by Apple - especially when it runs contrary to the stated return policy on the website. No caveat is ever mentioned on any terms and conditions page for AppleCare + or any other document for that matter.

imazu

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
Couch
I had 1 of my iPhone 5 replaced 2x at Apple Store that was ordered online. But I was still able to return it last Saturday.

capitation

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
I had my phone swapped out because of nicks and other cosmetic damage. A week later I returned it because I realized I didn't need 32gb of space, and got a 16gb instead... So yes, you can return the phone after you have had the original swapped out.

CanucksRock

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2010
You can get AppleCare+ after swapping out your phone. My initial phone had hardware issues (could not connect to network) Genius Bar replaced it, and I then purchased AppleCare+. No issues. This was only 1 day after purchasing the phone.

itsLouieV

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2010
Chicago
I went to pick mines up on sunday and did swap through 4 phones, but everytime the phone was returned and i technically purchased a different phone... phone got reactivated then box was opened. they didn't ever just swap, and i was told once i "swapped" with a genius i could no longer return the phone.

bowlen

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Perth
It does seem logical - but then again, everything is electronic and there should be a record that your original phone was replaced with the new phone, then if the new phone is returned, they will have that serial anyway...

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
I just did an exchange at my local apple store. I downgraded from a 32 black to a 16 white iPhone. They offered me the Apple care+ but I rejected it. Today I decided to go naked with my iPhone and went to the store and bought Applecare for $99 bucks. I didn't have any issues.

acorntoy

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2010
The genius did it wrong.

You warranty should transfer onto the new phones serial number.

Had to get three replacement 4S's last year, and the warranty AC+ was transferred onto each new phone.

----------

Last year I shattered a 4S, got AC+ the day I got a replacement from the Apple Store no problem :/

My dad got a yellow screened 4S out of the box this year, went to the apple store got it swapped, put AC+ on the replacement that day