Swapping iPhone question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphone joe, Sep 11, 2015.

1. iphone joe macrumors regular

iphone joe

My co-worker asked me a question this morning and I didn't know the answer. He has a 6+ and his wife has a 5s through Verizon. He hates the big screen and she wants the big screen so they want to flip phones. Do they go to a Verizon store to do this? Do they need to reset their phones to factory settings before the swap happens? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

If they are both verizon phones just swap the SIMS. You do not need to go to a store. The new settings will update automatically in their internal system.

3. rockitdog macrumors 68020

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Yea, but that will only switch phone numbers. To switch the contents you will need to make backups and restore to the other phone. Not quite as simple.

5. iphone joe thread starter macrumors regular

iphone joe

I thought with Verizon you needed new sim cards to do such a thing.

6. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Nope. Your SIM has the service tied to it.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

^^^This.

Note that you cannot do a restore from a backup version that is higher than the firmware the phone is on.

So, if his wife is running say 7.1.2 on her 5s he will not be able to restore from his backup on her 5s. They will both need to be running the same version to pull this off.

8. iphone joe thread starter macrumors regular

iphone joe

So all they need to do is first back up both phones then reset to factory settings, switch sim cards and restore the backups?

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes.

And the restore from backup part will work only if they are on the same version of iOS.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

...so if my wife is moving up from a 4(S) to a 6, how will we get all of her messages, etc. onto the iPhone 6?

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Update the 4s and then back it up. Then use the restore to restore the 6 and all her messages will move just fine.

Forgot, do an encrypted backup and restore. This move everything and is required when backing up a device that has had the Apple Watch paired to it (not your case)

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Moving up is not really the issue. It's moving laterally or down.

You can restore from a backup that is from a version LOWER than the firmware the phone is on. I.e, if the phone is on 8.4 you can restore from a 7.1.2 backup. But you cannot restore a phone on 7.1.2 from a 8.4 backup. You'll get an error.

I believe you can get away with minor point variations between the two, but not major versions.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Ah, ok. That's what I thought. Thanks, gents.

14. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Sounds like we are going to have a happy wife! Wise Man!:)

15. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Well, yes and no. I'm all but forcing her to upgrade. She honestly still loves her 4(S) except that the latency is getting to be a bit much and the battery "aint what she used to be." I do think she'll love the bigger screen, touchID, etc., etc. once she upgrades though.