Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carrollf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Ireland
Hi. I have a 3G iPhone running 3.1.3 and baseband 5.12.01 (bootloader 5.9) so as far as I can tell it cannot yet be unlocked. A friend of mine with an iPhone 3G running 3.0 said that he is happy to swap phones with me. Question is, can I restore a backup of my existing iPhone onto his phone and vice-versa? When I try to backup his phone (which will be my new phone) with my backup, will iTunes want me to upgrade to 3.1.3 (which I obviously do not want to do)?

Also, I plan to jailbreak and unlock this phone. Should I leave it on version 3.0 or should I first put 3.1.2 on it and then jailbreak and unlock? I want to make sure that I do nothing to affect me unlocking it!!!

Anything else that I have not considered?

carrollf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
Ireland
Anyone have any advice?

Specifically I just want to know if I should leave OS 3.0 on the iPhone 3G that I plan to unlock or should I upgrade to 3.1.2 first and then unlock?

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Hi. I have a 3G iPhone running 3.1.3 and baseband 5.12.01 (bootloader 5.9) so as far as I can tell it cannot yet be unlocked. A friend of mine with an iPhone 3G running 3.0 said that he is happy to swap phones with me. Question is, can I restore a backup of my existing iPhone onto his phone and vice-versa? When I try to backup his phone (which will be my new phone) with my backup, will iTunes want me to upgrade to 3.1.3 (which I obviously do not want to do)?

Also, I plan to jailbreak and unlock this phone. Should I leave it on version 3.0 or should I first put 3.1.2 on it and then jailbreak and unlock? I want to make sure that I do nothing to affect me unlocking it!!!

Anything else that I have not considered?

Yes, you can restore your backup, should work fine I would think. You have an iPhone 3G, you can put whatever iPhone OS you want on it. Limitations are only for iPhone 3GS which have to have their SHSH files on file with Saurik in Cydia, blah blah blah. :)

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
Anyone have any advice?

Specifically I just want to know if I should leave OS 3.0 on the iPhone 3G that I plan to unlock or should I upgrade to 3.1.2 first and then unlock?

if you do just make sure to use Pwnage tool so you can keep the baseband and unlock with Ultrasn0w not Blacksn0w. The latter has had numerous problems reported and if you have the choice between the two, you would probably want ultrasn0w

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.