Swapping iPhones. Overthinking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eternlgladiator, Sep 18, 2016.

1. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

i have iPhone 6 128, so has iPhone 6 64. I'm upgrading to ip7 and want to give her my iPhone so she gets more storage. Then I'll sell hers. We're both on att but not on the same account. Is it as simple as back up both. Restore both from others backup and swap SIM cards? Or is there something I'm missing? I'd be doing it now. A few days before my ip7 arrives since she's got storage issues.

2. weesy macrumors regular

As long as you can swap sims and you're both on att it should be that simple. Just swap and you're good to go

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

As far as backups, make sure the iPhones are named differently. I like to use iTunes and do an encrypted backup as it bring all data over including health and passwords.

4. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

5. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Ok follow up, I backed up both phones but the backups are wayyyyyy smaller than what the iPhones say they have on them. For example. My back up is 18GB but my phone is saying it has 48GB used. So's phone in similar situation. I don't want any data lost and both phones should appear just as they were prior to the swap. I hope that makes sense.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You got to understand that much of the data on your phone is the operating system. If you did full encrypted backups of the devices then you got what you need.

7. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I don't think you answered the OP's question. Why is the backup less than the contents of the phone? Are one's app copied into the back in iTunes? If not, are they redownloaded from the iCloud? What about photos?

8. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

I would guess data is saved and perhaps apps downloaded from the App Store so not backed up but would still show your phone as having that much storage used?

Could also be the same for any items you've purchased on iTunes, they won't back up as you can just redownload them

Anyway, just how I would think it works

9. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

This is because things like apps are not backed up, they are re-downloaded from the App Store after a restore.

10. HenryHM macrumors newbie

HenryHM

Penanmz nailed it.. it is because apps are not stored in the backup they get downloaded or restored from iTunes

11. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Ok that make sense, but when I plug her phone into my computer the storage values for photos really contradict eachother. she's in class right now but as far as I remember itunes says she had 5GB of photos, while her phone said it has over 30GB. Will they all still be there on restore?

12. HenryHM macrumors newbie

HenryHM

I would download imazing for free and see what it can read from iTunes back and from the phone..