Swapping logic board in MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CorvusCamenarum, Jul 12, 2011.

1. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Long story short, I've got a 1.83 Core Duo MBP, and the video card issue from a couple years back has finally hit me. Granted, a new machine would be nice, but money is tight right now, so a new logic board seems to be the way to go.

That being said, I was thinking instead of just getting a replacement of the same model, I could get a little upgrade (the machine is 6 years old after all and showing its teeth) while I was at it.

So the question is, do I need to stick with the model A1150 logic board, or would the next class up fit and all - models A1226 or A1260?

2. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

Im not 100% sure but you porbally need the same model.

You might be able to use a motherboard with a higher clocked cpu from the same model though.

3. sporadicMotion, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

As long as it's from the same generation (first gen Core Duo), you will be fine. There could be some other crossover but I'll wait for someone that knows 100% to say something.

The one time I tried it for a friend (water damaged MBP), we found a lot (can't remember how many) of the cables didn't match up between revisions. This might just have been because of the switch to LED backlit displays but I really can't remember (it was around 2007).

If I were you, I would study the tear down guides at iFixit first.

Good luck with it and hope it all works out! :apple:

EDIT: Just looked at the model numbers you supplied. I'm 99% sure it will not work without replacing the screen, and a few other parts. You'd have a much better chance using the logic board from a MacBook Pro 2,1 but still not 100%

4. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I think that about covers it. I'll probably go with the higher clock version of the 1150 and see if I can find one on eBay. They're a lot less expensive anyhow. Thanks for the assist.

5. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

No worries! Have fun and don't forget to buy thermal paste :p (I always forget about buying it when I'm out)