swapping MacBook for an iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Danindub, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Danindub macrumors member

Hi All,

I'm seeking advice, maybe some tips etc.

I currently own late 2008 unibody MacBook 13" (before they made it "Pro"). It's not the entry level model, it's the one with backlit keyboard, 2.4 GHz processor, 250 GB hard drive and 4 GB of RAM. And I love it.

However boss of mine just purchased Early 2009 iMac 20". It's 2.66 GHz machine, with 320 GB HDD and manualy-upgraded 8 GB of RAM. Machine was bought on Saturday, on a sale (due to new models just being released).

Boss offered me a swap. And I don't know what to do. Both machines have same graphic (NVidia 9400m). iMac have more memory, better processor, faster HDD... Plus larger screen is a big+ . Obviously I would loose portability, but I am not really much of a portable user. My remote computer usage is limited to couch mostly :)

I mainly use computer to music, pictures, sometimes some home videos, internet browsing, documents... stuff like that. Slowly getting into iPhone app development...

The question is - to switch, or not to switch?

Thanks in advance !

2. mwkingsandiego macrumors newbie

My vote - no

I have not had a desktop computer for more than 10 years, because I find portability to be more compelling. My MacBook (the 'entry' model, not so nice as yours) rerely leaves the house, but it does go all over the house.

If you make the trade you are forevermore (till you buy something new) trapped at the desk & chair. If you really need/want The Big Screen, for not too much money you could buy an external monitor to plug in to the M'Book, and still have the flexibility to go mobile on the couch.

3. lca355 macrumors member

I was just curios, what's in it for your boss? if the imac has the better specs?

4. brendu macrumors 68020

I have the 13"pro but its essentially the same machine you have, and a 20" imac and i have to say i use the macbook much more than the imac. I prefer to be able to sit where i want, watch tv while browsing, use it in bed, and take it out of the house when necessary. The iMac is nice with its big screen and there are times i find myself using it for the screen, but 9 times out of 10 i use the macbook.

Basically I could live without my iMac, I could not live without my Macbook.

5. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

My guess is he wants the portability of it.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

If it were me I would take the iMac. Most of the stuff I do requires a larger screen (game development, lightroom, photoshop, etc). Normally I am a desktop user and have a laptop also.

That being said...due to a unique work situation all I can have right now is a laptop and I've been hooking my laptop up to an external apple cinema display in my living area and I couldn't be happier. Its great having the two screens (one for eBooks and the other for the program I am working in while reading from the eBooks).

If it were me I'd take the iMac though.

7. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Eh, not really worth it for what you lose in portability. 4GB of ram should be enough for most people, and the differences between 2.4 and 2.66 are nominal. You can upgrade the hdd yourself and it'll be just as fast.

If you really want a nice big screen point yourself toward newegg and get yourself a nice 22" and get the best of both worlds (chill it out, take it slow).

5 points to anyone who can call me out.

8. zbasarab macrumors member

why are you asking us what you should do :confused:

its also really weird considering a desktop and a laptop are built for 2 completely different reasons. you should be able to make this decision on your own pretty easily :rolleyes:

9. Danindub thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all so far.

I would love to get LED Cinema Display, keyboard and mouse, but we're in the recession here in Ireland, and can't really spend money on toys.

My thought is - am I replacing value-for-value machine? wouldn't I be better off let's say selling my MacBook and getting new iMac?

Dan

10. brendu macrumors 68020

youd be better off in the trade if you really wanted to switch.. keep it simple and you wont spend any extra $$ out of your pocket.

11. Danindub thread starter macrumors member

you mean €€ ;)

Thanks .

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

You have to ask yourself what you really want or need, do you prize being able to close the computer down and move it anywhere else, or does being tied to a desk bother/not bother you? Or does the admittedly absolutely excellent screen of the iMac compensate for the lack of portability?

Personally, I have had both, and I far prefer laptops to desktops as I prize portability; indeed, portability around the house is every bit as important as portability between work/home, different cities and/or countries, so I'm with brendu on that. Likewise, a laptop simply does not take up that much space in a modern house - an attribute that I like. Obviously, the best of both worlds (recession in Ireland notwithstanding) is to hook it up to an external monitor and keyboard etc. for when you need a better (or bigger) screen.

Re bang for buck, of course, the iMac is (far) better value, and if that is what you are after, go for it, and exchange with your boss, or sell the MB and buy a new iMac. But value and portability and power are simply categories/criteria; you have to ask yourself what it is that you want/need from a computer, and choose on that basis.

Cheers and good luck