Swapping MacBook hard drive for LaCie mobile hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sebascrub, Nov 10, 2007.

1. sebascrub macrumors member

I can get this hard drive for pretty cheap from my university bookstore, and considering I just bought Leopard, I thought it would be a good time to swap out my now full MacBook drive for a bigger one. Is it possible to disassemble the LaCie enclosure, swap drives, and use the MacBook drive as an external Time Machine drive? Does anyone have any experiences with this? I just want to make sure that the LaCie drive will fit in the MacBook and that it's the right interface.

Thanks!

2. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

i don't think so...however i could be wrong :rolleyes:
    this is made for use as a external hd...

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

hd are cheap enough that it would just be easier to buy an actual hd made for the macbook and just swap the two. don't waste your time trying to fool around with that.

4. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Thats seems like a waste. Buy a 2.5'' SATA Laptop harddrive (what you need for your Macbook) from Newegg.com and a 2.5'' external enclosure for the old HD for Time Machine and you'll be set, and probably cheaper too.

The problem with your idea is that it might be IDE interface, which would mess everything up. It also might not disassemble, might be soldered, etc.

5. sebascrub thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to everyone for their replies... I was just curious more than anything. I was buying Leopard on Friday and noticed it was there, so convenient and everything. I was originally just going to buy one online somewhere. Any good suggestions for places that ship to Canada?