Swapping MacBook Pro HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by R.Youden, Nov 30, 2010.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I am getting a new MacBook Pro soon and I was wondering if it is possible to take the HD straight out of my current machine and into my new one?

I have heard bad things about Apple's migration assistant and I thought this would be the easiest solution.

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

Make sure you run Software Update on the older MacBook Pro to get the latest version of Mac OS X 10.6, and after the swap run Software Update on the new MacBook Pro to have all the right drivers.

Btw, you can also use Target Disk Mode and the Setup Assistant to migrate your old user tot he new MacBook Pro and thus circumvent the problems Migration Assistant sometimes has with proper right management.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you're running the latest OS X, then it should be possible. Personally I wouldn't but if you think that's the easiest, sure, go ahead.

4. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Can you suggest any other ways?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would either use Migration/Setup Assistant or just manually transfer files. The reason I'm not fan of cloning or any other "transfer everything" method is because you often transfer all the crap as well. I got my MBA yesterday and simply transferred my files manually by drag&drop from a TM backup. It takes a bit more time but it's a great way to clean up your data as I have 100GBs of more or less useless data. Sure I have only 128GB in MBA so I had to do that but I would have done that anyway.

6. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Very true. I like getting a new machine and starting from 'scratch' but with this laptop I have made a conscious decision to keep it organised and throw away anything I don't use so I like the convenience and the order that I have in place.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree with HH,
    I do the same thing, starting off fresh and not pulling any of cruft that seems to build up over time.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Ahh, then swapping should be fine :) Usually people are the opposite, like me, thus I often recommend to do everything manually.