Swapping MBP 15" screen for higher res panel

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mhjk, Feb 10, 2010.

1. mhjk macrumors newbie

Hi all, long-time lurker, first-time poster here!

I've been eyeing up the new 15" alu MBP but the 1440x900 screen is a bit crappy. Considering the cost of the damn thing I'd expect a higher-res screen; plus I've been staring my 15" MBP sitting beside my 1920x1200 monitor for almost 2 years and it's looking decidedly dated.

I've repaired broken laptops before, and I've got a friend with access to GSX service manuals so I'd be able to do the handwork. Unfortunately, I know damn all about panel compatibility. Basically I'd replacing a stock Apple panel with one sourced from a parts warehouse. I know Apple has a fetish for unusual mounts and hard-to-replace parts so my biggest fear would be buying a replacement panel and finding out that Apple uses panels with non-standard screw placements or brackets or something like that.

So my question is thusly, if I could find a 15.4" panel (and I know they do exist, HP has a couple of notebooks with 15.4"/1920x1200 panels) could I remove the screen from the alu MBP and drop in the replacement screen?

I'd love to hear from someone who has tried it or succeeded, or even if it's just possible :)

Thanks in advance!

2. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

3. mhjk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that!

Thanks seepel, my search-fu is obviously sub par! I tried lots of different searches but I couldn't pull up info like that from the forum search.

Cheers :)