Swapping microsims between my iPhone 4 and my new 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dennya, Oct 10, 2011.

1. dennya macrumors regular

dennya

Ordered a 4s on my wife's account since it was her 3GS that was due for an upgrade. However, I'll be using the 4s and passing my 4 on to her.

When the 4s arrives, I'll need to activate it, in order to activate the microsim in it and get her number off the 3GS sim and onto the microsim.

Once her phone is active, can I just swap the microsims between the two phones to move the 4s to my phone number and the 4 to hers?

Or do I need to somehow involve AT&T in this? Because I think AT&T is going to be very busy on Friday.

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just activate your wifes microsim which should happen automatically when you activate the iPhone.

Than just put your wife's sim in the 4 and your sim in the 4S. It would work perfectly.

You may also want to "erase all content and settings" before you give it to her. Just go settings-general-reset and than select erase all content and settings.

3. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

I have done it slightly differently but I see you are in the US so it may not be possible. I will mention it anyway though in case it is. I have a 3GS and am getting a 4S, but I have swapped to a micro SIM already. The micro SIMs that we get here are actually a full size SIM containing a micro SIM that you can pop out when needed. So I got one of those and got the number transferred onto it already and it's in my 3GS and working fine. When the 4S comes, I can just pop out the micro SIM part and put it in the 4S. The advantage being it's already done in advance and won't be an issue on Friday getting the number swapped over. Whether or not you can do the same depends on if your micro SIMs are the same, and if you can even get one from AT&T in advance I guess.

4. androiphone macrumors 65816

do what macingman said, but backup the 3GS to her itunes before you start, then put the sim in the iphone 4, connect it to her itunes select 'restore' and restore from her 3GS backup, therefore she will get all her stuff back on the iphone 4.

5. dennya thread starter macrumors regular

dennya

Awesome! Thanks, guys, it sounds like it'll be just as easy as I'd hoped. Just wanted to make sure the was nothing on AT&T's end that has to be done. Sounds like I can activate it, swap the m-sims, and then restore from her 3GS backup and she'll be good to go.

Love this forum. :)

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You really don't want to press erase all contents and settings. It blows the OS away and you will have to restore.

7. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

What's the problem with restoring in iTunes.