Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
I got a base MBA 13.3" from the US (I'm in Canada) as a gift. I called my local Apple store and told them I was torn between the 13 and 11 and the associate said, "try out the 13 if you don't like it, bring it in and we'll do something for you."

I've since decided that I want to go with the Ultimate 11. I went in to my store thinking it would take 5 minutes to swap out, but they ended up telling me I was out of luck because the unit was purchased from the United States (I told them this when I called them).

I was told to call 1-800-MY-APPLE which I did and they told me that there's nothing they can do since it was purchased in an Apple Store (in Hawaii) and not online or over the phone.

Any ideas on how I can swap it out?

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
You should be able to return it to any Apple Store in the US for a refund.

Trouble is I live in Canada. I'm heading to the US at the end of a December but that's the earliest I'll be there.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
or you could sell it on CL or Ebayyy and just use the funds to buy the one u want.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking might be best, but too bad I'll take a hit on the resale.

I just thought there could have been an option I haven't explored.

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Trouble is I live in Canada. I'm heading to the US at the end of a December but that's the earliest I'll be there.

Are you really that far from the US? I thought 90% of Canada's population live along the US border.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
That's just a lot of hassle to just get 11 inch. Best way is to sell it to someone privately and use the money to buy 11.6 inch.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Why don't you send it back to Hawaii, swap, and mail it back to you?

I also thought of that but shipping would be insane... better off selling it local.

What bugs me is that the only reason I opened it is because the sales guy said there would be no problem swapping it out if I changed my mind. Now it's opened so I won't get as much for it. Had I left it sealed I would have been able to sell it as new. Oh well.

teski

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
I also thought of that but shipping would be insane... better off selling it local.

What bugs me is that the only reason I opened it is because the sales guy said there would be no problem swapping it out if I changed my mind. Now it's opened so I won't get as much for it. Had I left it sealed I would have been able to sell it as new. Oh well.

An Apple store in the US is the same as the rest though, so why not call the one closest to where you are, explain the situation, and see if you can send it to them for an exchange (minus a restocking fee if you did use it).

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Best hope is to get a manager at the Apple Store and sweet talk him/her into helping you out. Most managers are very nice and want to help.

Biggest obstacle will be if computer systems or legal issues prevent cross border returns. If their hands are tied you will have to get it back to Hawaii. Shipping a lightweight air shouldn't be too onerous. Then have your benefactor in Hawaii send you MONEY raher than another computer.

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
An Apple store in the US is the same as the rest though, so why not call the one closest to where you are, explain the situation, and see if you can send it to them for an exchange (minus a restocking fee if you did use it).

I agree. My experience with Apple retail store employees... if you ask 5 different employees, you get 5 different answers. Keep calling until you get the answer you want to hear. Write that person's name down and document everything you hear.

runnin17

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2008

I would pitch a fit. Apple records all their conversations. You need to find out who you talked to, there will be a record of it (or there should be) and ask to talk to the supervisor, manager, whoever. If the CSR told you one thing and apple is telling you something else then they need to fix it!

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Best hope is to get a manager at the Apple Store and sweet talk him/her into helping you out. Most managers are very nice and want to help.

Biggest obstacle will be if computer systems or legal issues prevent cross border returns. If their hands are tied you will have to get it back to Hawaii. Shipping a lightweight air shouldn't be too onerous. Then have your benefactor in Hawaii send you MONEY raher than another computer.

Yeah I tried that and he was nice about it... but in the end said to call 1-800-MY-APPLE and that was that.

In the end it's my fault... I didn't do my due diligence and that's on me. I might head back to my store this weekend and tell them the toll free number did nothing for me.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

No, it's not the same. Store stock is different based off of currency. You usually can't purchase a product in Canada and return it in another country. Same as every other company because the currency exchange is different.

Else, people would buy a ton of product A in country A and then return it in country B for more money because county B has a higher dollar value.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
No, it's not the same. Store stock is different based off of currency. You usually can't purchase a product in Canada and return it in another country. Same as every other company because the currency exchange is different.

Else, people would buy a ton of product A in country A and then return it in country B for more money because county B has a higher dollar value.

I totally get it but in this case I want to just exchange it, in fact I'll be paying additional money to get the ulitmate.

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Your best bet might be to just drive to a border town with an Apple store and make the exchange and then return back.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Your best bet might be to just drive to a border town with an Apple store and make the exchange and then return back.

Not worth the gas... I'll just toss it on CL and take the hit.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004

I agree. OP, where are you in Canada that you're 6 hours from the US border, but have a "local" Apple Store? Only place I can think of is maybe Edmonton?

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
You do understand why they can't replace it, right? Your unit was purchased without paying GST and you want to exchange it with a unit that tax needs to be charged... I think that is the problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.