Swapping my 15" MBP 2016 for a 13" ?

LuxNova5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys,

Last January I bought a new laptop before a trip to New Zealand during which I recorded lots of 4K videos and high quality pictures. I needed a companion to let me edit all of that (and also more "basic stuff") so I chose the MBP 15" (base model) Late 2016. Although very painful for the wallet, it has been a great machine so far.

The only problem I've got with it right now is its size. I started university last month and I've already noticed it: it's just too big and heavy to carry. It's not like it was a gamer laptop but it is still way bigger than my friends' 13" MBP or Windows ultrabook. Sometimes I want a light backpack but my MBP adds too much weight. Same for the size, it takes too much place on a table. As for the power, yes, I'm glad that it runs butter-smooth but do I really need such a powerful machine ? I also own an iMac 27" at home and I actually prefer doing the "serious work" (editing primarily) on a big screen.

Anyway, I made the mistake of buying a too big, too powerful and too expensive laptop. I still want something durable and reliable so I was thinking about selling this one for a new MBP 13" which is smaller, less powerful and has a better battery. That's what I want after all.

But, after having read some articles about Intel 8th gen processors, I'm quite stuck between buying now or waiting. The future MBP 13" could use a quad-core CPU rather than the actual dual-core one and that's quite interesting... I also saw the new Surface Book 2 from Microsoft which seems very tempting because it could be useful for me to take notes with a pen directly on my laptop. It's very expensive though and I already own a tablet (iPad Pro 12,9"...which I also find a little bit too big, but that's another story).

So, what's the best option for my needs? Selling my 15" for a 13" (although I'll loose some money) ? Selling both my laptop and my tablet for a Surface Book 2? Buying a Windows laptop with a 8th gen CPU (like the Dell XPS 13, even though the design remains unchanged since a couple of years)?

Thanks,

Tom.

djnigelchung

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2015
Silicon Valley
My opinion:

Do you have an external monitor to compliment the 13". I personally went from a 13" to a 15" due to an increase in travelling demands. Now I don't travel as much, but can't go back to the 13" despite the size (even with an external 'docking' setup at home).

You mentioned that you have a 27" at home, in which case maybe the 15" is a little overkill. 13" might even be much then, you could get away with your Ipad if you really wanted.

I think it all comes down to your workflow. Now that you are at home do you need a 15" on the go? or can you wait until you get home to use your 27"? If you can wait, I think downsizing would be nice, if not. stick with what you got. the 15" is a beast!

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2013
If you are thinking about switching to the 13”, I suggest waiting until Kaby Lake-R. The 13” MBP should be getting a quad core between now and Spring 2018, my guess is end of Jan, Early Feb.

LuxNova5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys, I don't have access to my 27" iMac during the week as I'm staying in a student room, so I still need a laptop. I think I will eventually switch to a smaller size (15" => 13") for more portability (same for my iPad, from the 12,9" to the 10,5") but you're right by saying that it's better to wait now for a 13" with a quad-core CPU (that would be perfect!). I think I will be able to sell my 15" next year for a great price!

So, for now, I'm keeping my 15" which is still awesome ;)

lambertjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2012
Thanks guys, I don't have access to my 27" iMac during the week as I'm staying in a student room, so I still need a laptop. I think I will eventually switch to a smaller size (15" => 13") for more portability (same for my iPad, from the 12,9" to the 10,5") but you're right by saying that it's better to wait now for a 13" with a quad-core CPU (that would be perfect!). I think I will be able to sell my 15" next year for a great price!

So, for now, I'm keeping my 15" which is still awesome ;)
Best Buy has all their 13" MBP's on sale right now for some ridiculously low prices. Might be a good time to pick one up.