Swapping my internal 2TB HD for a crucial 512 M550

Discussion in 'iMac' started by R1PPER, Jan 9, 2015.

1. R1PPER macrumors 6502

I'm currently running a Lacie rugged 256 as my boot drive. With an internal 2TB for my media.

My question is.....if i stick a crucial 512 SSD M550 in the single internal slot. Whats the best solution for the 2TB media library. Is there a cheap 3.5" thunderbolt enclosure out there that won't throttle the 7200 rpm?

Ive got a 21.5 2011 iMac and the dual internal solution looks horribly complicated.
    Any thoughts.

2. thedeske macrumors 6502a

I would leave the 2TB where it is and swap out the Optical slot with a sled kit for the SSD. OWC has the kit and videos on the procedure. Once you open it, there are 4 wires to deal with as you pull the LCD away from the frame.

If you're all thumbs, a local 3rd party shop can do it for a small fee.

3. R1PPER thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm happy to take the Lcd off. But the dual setup takes the logic board out and that looks hard. Do you think I can do it without removing the logic board. ?

4. thedeske macrumors 6502a

No logic board removal, just the panel and optical - the vid shows swapping the dvd, but you'd put the blue bracket there instead.

If you were thinking about adding behind the board, yes that's a little more work.

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac_mid21_2011_opt/

OWC DD kit -http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDIMCL0GB/

5. R1PPER thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for this, exactly the solution I'm looking for.

6. R1PPER thread starter macrumors 6502

Just as a follow up. Ive installed an MX100 512 SSD into the data doubler. Pretty easy except getting one of the the ribbons of the LCD back at the end. That was little stressful.

The drive is ridiculously fast and silent but only showing speeds of 257/267 in blackmagic. Ive zapped the pram and looked for a firmware update, i seems to be upto date.

Any Ideas why the speed is showing half that of what it should be. Still feels blazing fast and I've tested it with some pretty big PS files.

Thanks.