Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jweaver

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
After having an iPad2 since launch with back light bleed, I have finally got around to finding time to pay Apple a visit and have booked a Genius appointment for Sunday.

They will certainly swap my iPad and I guess I will simply plug it into my PC and do a 'restore'.. But will this also restore my 'game saves'?

I have loads of level based games (Cut the rope, Angry Birds, etc), all of which I have only partly completed.. I don't really want to start again, so want to check that my progress will be restored when I do the restore.

Jon

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
As long as you make a backup before going to the Apple Store, you should be fine. Just remember to restore from a backup and not as new.

jweaver

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
As long as you make a backup before going to the Apple Store, you should be fine. Just remember to restore from a backup and not as new.

Cheers.. I backed up today.. its unlikely that I will play any games between now and then..

So when I get my 'new' iPad, and connect it to iTunes, will I just get an option to restore?

Jon

jweaver

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Yes, you'll have options to set it as a new device or restore from backup.

Thanks.. I only doubted the backup/restore thing as I seem to remember my nephew told me that some games (lilke Cut the Rope) are "bound" to an particular iPad, so the scores/saves don't transfer over.

I hope this isn't true, as it will be a real disappointment.. The iPad now is firmly up there with the best of the games systems.. But if you are unable to backup/restore game saves, it makes the thing far less desirable..

I know you shouldn't "plan" on swapping your iPad, but should you have too, its a bit disappointing if many hours of gameplay are lost.

I guess I will find out over the weekend..

Thanks for your help

Jon

ninerfan

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2011
Don't wish to cause you worry, but my first ipad2 was replaced by Apple (long story, doesn't pertain to your question). I did a restore to load all my apps onto the new ipad2. Everything saved just fine, with the exception of two games: Farm story and Trade Nations. Both developers were zero help in getting my games restored. I told Farm Story people to stuff it, and started over with Trade Nations.

Not sure if Cut The Rope and Angry Birds are connected to Game Center. If they are, you should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.