Swapping new mbp Harddrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paintballswimgu, Apr 19, 2010.

1. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

My new macbook pro gets here on Tuesday. Its coming with a 320 Gb 5400 rpm hd. I already have a 7200 rpm 500 GB hd that is brand new and unformated. I want to swap the drives. But i don't want to lose the programs, that come free on the new macs, (iphoto, imovie, etc). Does the new computer come with these on backup disks as well. Or do i need to clone the drive inorder to get them?

If doing a fresh install on the new drive is possible, while still getting the newest version of these programs, i would prefer that. (less bloatware that way, ie printer drivers and languages)

Any help would be greatly appriciated. I'm just not sure which way is easier. Thanks

2. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

Yes, all those applications come on a separate CD with your new MBP.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You either clone the HDD via CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper and an external USB enclosure for 2.5" HDDs, or you use the gray restore DVDs that come with every Mac (really, they come with every Mac, unless the source is shady) and re-install Mac OS X onto the new HDD. iLife is on the second restore DVD.

Also MRoogle will tell you more, as this topic is brought up weekly or so.

4. keipl macrumors newbie

Im considering swapping too on new 13". I have extra 64GB SSD (Samsung) just lying around. Just curious, what are the bare minimum requirements spacewise for:
    - OS
    - MS office

Mainly usage is word processing, surfing, music listening (Spotify). Is 64Gb adequate?

5. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

64GB is plenty of space. For OSX and MS office, I'd say 15GB is the minimum space needed for install.

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Get an external HDD ... you should have one and backup regularly anyways. Using your external, use time machine to back up your entire computer, then install the HDD and restore the system using time machine utility on the OS X disc :)

7. paintballswimgu thread starter macrumors 6502

i have a mbp currently, with a time machine backup as well. I just decieded that i would start fresh this time around. My older mbp has got a lot of applications on it that i don't really use, so it would be nice to just start super clean

8. ttran88 macrumors regular

9. gpcovenant macrumors newbie

I was curious on this. I was thinking of upgrading and installing my 500gig 720rpm into the new machine. I have a time machine back up but was wondering what happens to all the updated drivers from the new hardware? is time machine smart enough to not overwrite the newer system files?