Swapping out a SIM

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greenyboy411, Sep 11, 2007.

1. greenyboy411 macrumors newbie

I am very tempted by an iPhone right now, but I have one question:
    If I need a cellular phone to take with me on a rugged excursion or a trip overseas where I don't want to be charged for data (and yes, I know I can turn my wireless data off), would I be able to take the SIM card from the iPhone and put it into, say, my Samsung Sync?
    Thank, and apologies if this has already been asked.

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

3. ascham87 macrumors regular

ascham87

The iPhone is unlockable, albeit through somewhat non-userfriendly means as of right now, however, within 1-2 days, there will be an incredibly easy end user solution. What does this mean for you? It means that if you want to take it overseas, you can simply buy a pre-paid sim card and pop it in. Now for the rugged excursion, yes you can just pop it in a sync, as I'd not want to lose the iPhone in some sort of crazy bear incident.

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

He doesnt want to unlock his iPhone, he wants to take the SIM out of his iPhone and put it into another phone

5. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Yes you can take your sim out and stick it to another AT&T capable phone without a prob.

6. greenyboy411 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help! I might also consider an unlock now.

7. ascham87 macrumors regular

ascham87

Yes, thanks for pointing out what I obviously didn't see /sarcasm
    The only reason why I suggested the unlock is because he added the part about him going overseas. If you were to read the entire post, I presented 2 answers to the 2 slightly separate questions he posed. Can he take it out and put it in his sync? Yes he can. Could he take it out and put it into his sync when he goes over seas and not be charged exuberant voice/data charges? No, he cannot. He can however, unlock his phone and use a pre-paid sim. Remember that the unlock process is now completely free! Thanks for pointing that out though, very thoughtful of you.

8. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

yup

yeah you can the sim will work in any capable phone that uses a sim card:)

9. greenyboy411 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if I would be able to buy a SIM in the UK that would provide data access? I know this is a long shot, but I think it might be worth asking.

10. ascham87 macrumors regular

ascham87

That is unlocked for use on any network, that's an important part of this equation. If he takes his AT&T sim card out of his iPhone and puts it into his AT&T Samsung Sync, it will work without a hitch. If he however, puts it into a T-Mobile phone that is locked to the T-Mobile network, it won't. He would first need to unlock that T-Mobile phone. So for all intensive purposes, it seems that what he asked was if he could take his AT&T iPhone sim and place it into an AT&T branded Sync, which would work without a problem.

I believe you can yes, but it may be limited to the incredibly slow, almost makes you want to kill yourself GRPS.

11. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Other sims wont work on your iphone unless its the one that has your iphone phone number and activation.
    You can take out your iphones sim and stick it to any compatible phone but you cant do the opposite. Like take a sim from another phone even if its AT&T and stick it in the iphone. It wont recognize it unless its hacked or activated thru Itunes.

Well said.
    His Iphones sim will work on any AT&T compatible cell or any cell unlocked to accept AT&T sim cards.
    Not just any phone thats not unlocked for AT&T