Swapping out HD for an SSD - is this possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elgrecomac, Feb 27, 2008.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

With an existing MBP, is it possible to swap out the standard hard disk for an SSD unit? If no, why not? if yes, how difficult will this be?

Thanks!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes, it's been done. Yes, it's stupidly expensive.

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

so you want to use your "pro" machine with a hdd that is only 64gb (less than that formatted)?

4. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Do some forum research - there was a post about how the swap caused issues with sleep and waking from sleep. Something about how our melatonin cycle.. oh wait. Anyway, make use of that search button, it's there for a good reason ;)

PS - Many SSD's are not the correct connection for a direct swap, and that may be what caused the issues. Make sure if it's an MBA you are using a PATA interface, other MB/P models a SATA.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Storage size isn't everything. Keep in mind the MBP can take say, bus powered firewire drives to complement storage size.

Certain SSD 2.5" drives such as the MTRON are as fast as desktop Raptor drives!!!

Yes they will work in MBP as long as it's 2.5" SATA (9.5mm high?), and you or your company have the need / money for it.

6. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Yeah, my girlfriend tells me that all the time too buddy.. doesn't mean it's true.. :D

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Dont buy it just yet, I bought the newest samsung 64gb ssd drive on ebay (only 1 seller!) and I installed on the sr mbp. The ssd ran very cool and no noise at all and was a joy to use, I loved every bit of it boot time was very fast and app launch even 10 simultaneously launched each individual apps without interfering each app's launch time. And boot time was just under 24 sec.

But as mentioned above for some reason when I put my mbp to sleep it works fine but once you mess with the sleep options such as when you first install the ssd drive osx will have the virtual memory checked and sleep would wake instantaneously and worked real well. but after you unchecked the use secure virtual memory, all of a sudden the computer will freeze evertime you put it to sleep! Even checking the secure virtual memory back still didnt resolve this issue. I've installed leopard over 7 times to try to figure out whats causing this and tried even tiger. Unless you dont want to mess with your sleep/energy options after you install leopard/tiger the ssd could be doable. Also Sometimes it wont even wake up from sleep and other times it will wake up but once you open an app or even safari everything will just freeze the whole computer.

So in the end I sold it (for more than I paid for, kind of ironic) and I'm more than happy with the hitachi 7k200 that I originally had. Surprisingly from only the boot time was much noticeably faster than my hitachi but in almost everything else felt exactly the same.

8. elgrecomac thread starter macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Not a question of size..

I am not planning to buy a new drive this year...i just bought my MPB. The question was more about the interface connection. Soon there will be 128Gb ssd drives and in the next 12 months, prices will drop and larger drives will become available. i just wanted to see if it is possible to do it so I have options in the future. it appears like I will. thanks all.
    :cool: