swapping out HDD on a mac: does it change your info?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thechidz, Apr 30, 2008.

1. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

does swapping out the HDD on a macbook pro change your computers information like IP and mac addresses etc? what all does it change?

2. kidkaprie macrumors member

kidkaprie

when replacing the HD on any computer, you will have to reinstall the OS, any programs that you wish to use, and copy over files from your old HD (assuming you backed up your files).

Your IP address changes based upon your connection. It stays the same for a few days (assuming your connecting to the same router) and then it's lease is up. It will then get a new IP address.

Your MAC address is specific to the network card on the computer. Your Wireless card has one specific to it, as does the LAN port. These are not stored/set in the OS. They are stored in the LAN/Wireless cards.

The only thing that will change is your OS and programs that you have installed, and that is what you should be really worried about.

3. pogmothoin macrumors newbie

i recently up'd my 120gig to a 320 gig. i used the carbon copy cloner program, and it didn't seem to change anything. The only thing i found a few days later is that it didn't recognize the old time machine files and backed the whole thing up as tho it was all new

4. ecsk2 macrumors newbie

Can you tell me more about this CARBON COPY CLONER prg?
    What can it do and what not? How safe? name? URL?

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Here's a couple of links,both are safe & do what the say on the tin

CCC

SuperDuper

6. ecsk2 macrumors newbie

Thanks, yeah I found that CCC one already.
    Is there any benefits of one vs. the other?

Please correct me if I am wrong but I can use this to update my MAIN HDD on my MAC?
    Also how would that affect my warranty?

7. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

cubbie5150

Sorry to thread hi-jack, but it is kinda on-topic: when upgrading HDD's, is there a problem w/ using a SuperDuper backup & placing it on a HDD that is of a different size than the original? Ex: My current HDD is 120GB, I have it backed-up on an external HD. If I swap in a new 250GB HDD, can I simply migrate everything over from my external HD? I know in Windows (using Acronis True Image), there were issues w/ using an image from a smaller HDD on a new, larger HDD...

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If you mean clone then yes,you just clone your internal to a external

Never used CCC but SuperDuper is good

If you mean does cloning void your warranty then no,swapping the drive does technically,but can be easy got round by swapping back to original parts before a repair

9. ecsk2 macrumors newbie

Yeah I guess I overlooked the part of actually keeping the original HDD I have a Mac Pro so there's room there...

Like the way the CCC looks didn't dwnload the SuperDuper yet, will have to get a new drive now. Could one do this like this MAIN HDD -> EXT HDD -> NEW INT HDD ? I have an ext HDD thats why...

10. ecsk2 macrumors newbie

Good point, I hope there's no problem with that!?

11. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

another hi-jack (sorry). if you have an external HD and time machine'd everything, could you simply install a new HD in your laptop and copy all the information from the external HD over?

12. ecsk2 macrumors newbie

Not a laptop and yes do have the time machine but onto another internal HDD which is also full, my ext hdd is also full but already backed up to one of the internal HDDs, so I don't really use the ext HDD anymore.

13. ecsk2 macrumors newbie

14. ecsk2 macrumors newbie

Before I start...

...so I have a brand new 1TB internal drive now, and just wanted to see if anyone can give some advice?

SuperDuper states this:

"The
    best thing to use with SuperDuper! is an external FireWire drive"

15. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Out of context.
    All recent Macs EXCEPT the MacPro are limited to one internal drive, so by default the choices are an external USB or an external Firewire drive. Firewire is faster and more reliable for mass storage.

SuperDuper and CCC both work fine on internal SATA drives in MacPros and PowerMac G5s.

17. ecsk2 macrumors newbie

Thank you, so for me on the MacPro I can just use it internally where it already is located, correct? I am a Mac newbie as you can tell :)

Ok thanks, and if you were to vote for one of the two SD vs. CCC, which would it be? BTW what will the SD TRIAL version allow me to do and what not?

18. mox123 macrumors 6502

yes u can....i use time machine to back up my system at least once a day...a couple months ago the hard drive on my 7-month old macbook died...got it fixed under warranty and decided to take the opportunity to upgrade back to the 15" MBP....when i got my new machine, i hooked up my external LaCie drive to the MBP....1.5 hours later, my new MBP is an exact copy of the broken MB! with all my programs, data files, even emails in Mail and Entourage!