Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
I am going to change my 2009 27" i7 imac for the 2010 version.

Do I have to reinstall everything or can you clone the drive? The hardware is slightly different so will it mess it up?

I am also going to pimp this one with an SSD, 16Gb and 2Tb drive.

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
Thanks guys. I had not realised that you could use migration assistant to transfer the applications as well. This is my first mac ;)

So when I get my new imac and upgrade it to a 120Gb SSD and a 2Tb second drive can I use migration assistant to put all my settings and applications on the SSD and the the rest of my media, photos etc on the 2Tb disk?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Thanks guys. I had not realised that you could use migration assistant to transfer the applications as well. This is my first mac ;)

So when I get my new imac and upgrade it to a 120Gb SSD and a 2Tb second drive can I use migration assistant to put all my settings and applications on the SSD and the the rest of my media, photos etc on the 2Tb disk?

You can use MA to transfer apps and stuff to the SSD but I would transfer photos etc manually because otherwise they end up going to the SSD I think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.