Swapping Out the Hard Drive of a MacBook, Need to Keep Data

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aido2002, Apr 21, 2009.

1. aido2002 macrumors member

I have a 13" MacBook, and I'm swapping out the factory-installed 120 GB hard drive for a 320 GB one. I have been using it with the 120 GB disk, and I want to make a copy of it on the larger disk before I swap them. I have a fairly good idea of what to do, but I don't want to risk losing data, so I want to check and see what the best way to do this would be.

Here's what I was thinking: along with the new drive, I bought an external enclosure. So, I was going to put the new disk in there, connect it to the computer with the original disk, and copy a clone of the internal disk to it. I was thinking of using Disk Utility or Carbon Copy Cloner to do this (although I have never done that, so I'd appreciate it if you could walk me through making a bootable clone with either one). Then, once I essentially have two disks which are clones, I'll swap out the old disk for the new one (I know how to do the physical installation).

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You got it. That's all there is to it.

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Yup. Just use CCC and all should go well. I have done it in the past, however...

I just did it tonight in my Macbook Pro, but for some reason my MBP is taking longer to boot, once it's in the OS it's fine.

Gotta look into that.

4. aido2002 thread starter macrumors member