Swapping Retina with High Res

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trebuin, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

I'm pretty sure I know what the result would be, but I am curious if anyone has attempted to swap the retina display with the standard on an older MBP.

2. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

3. TheMacBookPro, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Since the display is actually part of the screen housing now, you'd have to replace the entire top panel with the one from the regular MBP, and since the rMBP is slightly smaller in all dimensions, I doubt it would fit.

4. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Yeah I don't even think the logic boards are the same and if the pin connectors are the same. Further more the chassis is totally different. Did you even read any of the articles about the RMBP. They totally redesigned the screen construction. They removed the glass panel and stuff, made it thinner and what not.

But seriously whats the point. Downgrading from retina to hi-res? You want to save power or something?

5. Trebuin thread starter macrumors 65816

Trebuin

That's my impression as well. Either it's impossible to get the screen transferred to another screen enclosure, or the entire new screen simply won't fit into the slotting of the old macbook. The best that could be done is an adapter, which will only give you bragging rights that you did it, though now you have essentially a two piece laptop.

----------

No, upgrading to retina. And in reality, bragging rights. I can't see the connection from all the reviews of the old and new macbook to see if they're the same or not. I know the screen has been redesigned.

----------

Is a macbook teardown a joke?

6. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Bragging rights? It would look hideous since it wouldn't fit together properly :p

The connectors are probably different too so you'd have to fabricate an adapter yourself- I doubt anybody will be making them.

Why don't you just buy the old MBP if you don't want the Retina display? The specs on the mid-2012 legacy Pro is identical. Sure, it's a bit thicker and heavier, but it's certainly better than having two different laptops held on with duct tape or something like that. Pull out the ODD to save a bit of weight ;)

7. Trebuin thread starter macrumors 65816

Trebuin

It would be the other way around, why spend 3k+ on a macbook if you can get a new display. Did that with another notebook in the past due to screen/keyboard scratching. Warranty didn't cover it and the screen only cost $150, much cheaper than their cost to fix.

8. chrfr macrumors 603

Both. What you're asking isn't possible.

9. mac jones macrumors 68040

I tried this. I didn't work. I took two machines apart and got all the parts mixed up. Now I have a lot of parts that don't fit together. I also stepped one something and it cracked. Not my best work by far. :eek:

10. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I'm confused. You want to upgrade your regular MBP with a retina display, but where are you getting the retina display? Are you going to order a $3k laptop, take the screen out....and then what? You're left with a screen-less $3k laptop you can't return.

11. Spicedham macrumors regular

all you do is go into the settings>display scale it one up from the best (Retina) settings and it's 1680 x 1050. its even a little clearer looking than the actual 1680 x 1050 hi res screen too.

12. mad-jamie16 macrumors regular

If you try taking a Retina Macbook Pro display apart, you're gonna have a bad time.[​IMG]

13. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

It would work if the parts were designed to be interchangeable. Obviously, it isn't.

The title of the thread seems to indicate that he's interested in swapping the Retina display with a High-Res display from the regular MBP, though after reading through the rest of the replies he could be talking about the other way round? I'm pretty confused now.

14. fs454 macrumors 65816

This is like trying to swap parts between, say, two different generations of cars. Sure, the new one has something cool that you want, but the whole thing is entirely redesigned including everything that has to do with mounting/interfacing with the part/feature that you'd like to add.

Not gonna happen, and no one will develop an adapter for a piece that isn't going to fit. Square block in a circle shaped hole.

15. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

End of this serious thread :D

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

No, but buying something so you can brag about it certainly is.