Swapping rMBP; How to not get LG screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by choffy, Apr 9, 2013.

1. choffy macrumors member

choffy

I've hated my rMBP since I've bought it. It's been littered with bugs, glitches and poor build quality, and I've lived with it till now. I was able to get a screen replacement to a Samsung one in December (first one was an LG), but the body creaks (something my first $500 Toshiba laptop didn't do), and it has troubles when I close the lid.

Basically I'm not going to take no for an answer on Friday for a swap out. I bought the machine when it first came out, but wasn't able to swap it out since everyone was out of stock back then. So, I'm going to do it now (seriously, this laptop is infuriating), but I want to make sure my screen is a Samsung screen since I've already gone through that song and dance once before.

Do they still make rMBP's with LG screens? I remember reading about a class action lawsuit because of the LG screens and don't know if that means they quit using LG as a manufacture or not.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has some tips before my appointment Friday. Thanks in advance.

2. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Still sell them. My 2.7/16/512 came with a LG revision 1 panel (SJA1) too.

3. choffy thread starter macrumors member

choffy

Any issues with IR?

4. abc123 macrumors 6502

The screen manufacturer isn't marked on the box so your best bet is to open it up before you leave the store, run the IR test and ask to swap it away if there is a problem.

5. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Yeah they still use LG screens. The first I wanna say 5 max'd out rMBPs I had came with LG but number 6 and 7 came with Samsung and I had a friend who a few months ago order a max'd out rMBP and they got Samsung.

So right now getting a max'd out one will greatly increase your chance of Samsung however from my understanding if you get the screen replaced it'll be Samsung.

6. Queen6, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

You need to get some perspective; your in the minority, you should have swapped it out ASAP, not months down the line, not taking "no" for an answer wont help you if the law is not on your side, Apple will only do what they are legally obliged to, unless they make an exception.

Go to Apple be polite and equally firm that you are not satisfied with their premium notebook, list and physically show them the problems one by one. Forget all this LG/Samsung display nonsense if the display is good, it`s good, if it has issue Apple will deal with it.

More than likely Apple will offer to rectify any issues prior to any dialogue on replacement of a machine now over nine months old, think about it...

7. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

No issues with mine so far, but then again it's only been 2 days. Not sure if its worth the hassle to exchange at BestBuy, essentially since I can't even show them the issue.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Based on a sample of 8 out of how many hundreds of thousands produced :rolleyes: Until Apple lists the display vendor as an option, it`s completely random "max`d out " Retina`s are not special computers, they are the same design with some additional storage, RAM and slightly faster CPU, no more no less...

In a word no it wont.

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

You won't get a replacement unit after so many months and one repair. It's almost a year old, and it's unreasonable to ask them to replace a machine that old with so little problems (you should've told them about the creakiness (which, ftr, most of them do) earlier on).

When you get to that age - a general rule of thumb is a replacement on the 4th major repair. Not one LCD panel and minor creaking.

Plus, if you loosen and re-tighten the bottom case, the creaking usually goes away.

10. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

I have a lg screen and have had zero problems...i think people automatically assume all lg screens are bad....i ve read plenty of posts from people who have lg screens and have reported no IR or anything else. best advice is just enjoy it...you dont spend all this money to look for every single tiny little thing...funny how when people buy a car which is 20x as expensive they dont go return it to the dealership because one the of the lights isnt as bright as the other one.. lmao