Swapping SIM cards to get discount no condoned?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by calebt, Aug 16, 2008.

1. calebt macrumors newbie

I just went to my local AT&T store. My line is not upgrade eligible with a hardware discount, but my dad's line is.

The plan is:

1) Buy the iphone and activate on my dad's line so I can get the eligibility discount.
    2) Switch SIM cards.
    3) Call AT&T or go to the store and have them move the data plan to my line.

From what I understand, both phones need to already have a 3G sim card for this to work (we both have relatively new phones, so I don't think this will be a problem).

I've found a few threads where people have confirmed this has worked in the past. I told the AT&T store manager what the plan was, and she basically wouldn't confirm or deny if this was possible on the grounds of "due to insurance reasons, this could be considered fraud" (!!!). First off, I'm not really sure what this has to do with insurance. Second, I was a little bit surprised at this since the reason we're in this situation in the first place is because my dad used my eligible line about 6 months ago to upgrade his phone at the suggestion of an AT&T rep (without asking me :) -- yeah, I was wondering why my phone suddenly died at work one day). I thought this was a common practice.

Can anyone confirm that this still works? I'm hoping the AT&T rep is just clueless, but I'm a bit concerned that policy has changed recently and I might run into problems when my iphone arrives at the AT&T store and we try to make this happen. Worst case scenario, I can just get a refund on the phone, but I'd really like this to work.

Forgot to mention when I first posted, we're on the same family plan.

2. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i still think your dad will be stuck with the 3g bill.