Swapping SIM Cards

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by RCKrofchik, Jun 8, 2015.

1. RCKrofchik macrumors newbie

I currently have Verizon phone service with unlimited data. I've heard that you can swap SIM cards with another phone on our account that is eligible for an upgrade, then swap the sim card from the new phone.

It would go something like this:
    - remove SIM card #1 from phone #1 with unlimited data and place it into phone #2
    - remove SIM card #2 from phone #2 and place it into phone #1
    - take phone #1 with SIM card #2 to Verizon store and upgrade to new phone #3
    - remove SIM card #3 from new phone #3 and place it into phone #2
    - remove SIM card #1 from phone #2 and place back it into phone #3

... all of this, of course, will work flawlessly!

Will this plan work, or have I simplified it too much.

Thanks to all!

2. wongster macrumors regular

so one of the numbers is on edge and the other is a unlimited plan where you have to buy the phone at full price? if i understand this correctly, with edge, you are financing the new phone anyway with your #2 plan so i don't think it makes a difference with which one you bring in to upgrade.

3. RCKrofchik thread starter macrumors newbie

No, both phones are on the OLD Family Share plan. The phone with the upgrade has a standard 2GB data plan.

I would like to use that upgrade to get a new iPhone 6 plus for the line with the unlimited data plan.

4. wongster macrumors regular

You can use that upgrade to get the 6+ and then just pop in the SIM card with the unlimited data in and your good to go. Don't need to make things complicated and swap SIM cards then upgrade.

5. RCKrofchik thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the thing. The upgrade is available for a 5s with 2GB of data which we want to keep. I want to take the SIM with unlimited data card out of a 5c.

I was thinking I could put the 5c's SIM card into the 5s and vice versa. Then take the 5c (with the 5s' 2GB plan SIM) to the Verizon store, upgrade to the 6 plus and than swap the SIM card with the unlimited plan.

6. wongster macrumors regular

When you upgrade, are you supposed to turn in the old phone?

7. RCKrofchik thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point. I don't know. Probably not. I'll have to look into that.

So, I can just walk in the store without a phone. Tell them I want an upgrade on the "line/phone number" with upgrade. Swap the SIM out of the new 6 plus and put into the 5s to maintain the 2 GB plan and then put the 5c's unlimited plan SIM into the new 6 plus?

That would eliminate a few steps.

8. wongster macrumors regular

9. RCKrofchik thread starter macrumors newbie