Swapping sim cards ....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mauiphone, Jun 11, 2010.

1. mauiphone macrumors newbie

Need some advice form all of the experts here. I am not eligible to upgrade my 3gs until July 2011, however my husbands line is upgrade eligible now.
    He does not care about getting a new phone so I was reading in the forum that I could use his upgrade and then put my sim card in the 4g.

My questions are:

1) Are the sim cards going to be the same size as the 3gs?

2) Am I going to have a problem cancelling the data plan on his line after I purchase the 4g (since I am going to be using it on my # and he would go back to using his old phone)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

1) no

2)yes

3. mauiphone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I actually stopped by the AT&T store today and asked if I could use my husbands upgrade. They told me yes but I would lose my unlimited data, they would make me choose one of the new data plans for my line, (which I do not want to do). I don't know if he actually knew what he was talking about or if they are just saying that to discourage people from doing that.

4. anthony10292 macrumors newbie

Will I have the same problem?

I am not the primary account holder but I am planning to do an upgrade swap with the primary. We both have unlimited iphone data plans.

5. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

nothing will be changed on your account, so I dont see how you would lose unlimited data...

upgrade his line, have ATT put the new sim on your account, cancel data plan his account, nothing changes on your account

6. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

7. Jman14 macrumors 6502

Its not AT&T, its Apple. AT&T can bypass all the issues. Its Apple's store policy to have all iPhones activated by the time they leave the store. They also don't have the technology to stop the SIM from activating it is built into their checkout process to simplify the process for not so smart reps. Lol

8. mauiphone thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to clarify, my husbands phone is not an iPhone, so no data plan of any kind on that line right now.
    I am also wondering how it would affect the upgrade eligibility dates on each line.
    Would it put both of us into a new 2 year upgrade cycle or just one of us and which one?

9. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Just thinking out loud here. But why couldnt you just trim your SIM card and put it in the new iPhone. Then activate it.

That is what I was planning on doing. Signing my wife up on a new plan, then just giving her my 3GS and taking her iPhone 4. :confused:

10. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

your husbands upgrade will be killed and he will have a new contract. you will get the new phone and nothing on your line will change.

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Take a moment to peruse the upgrade guide

12. mauiphone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. The others were kind enough to answer my questions.

13. bat95132 macrumors member

2) is NO!! Once the iPhone 4 is off your husbands line just log into OLAM or call AT&T and they will drop the data..

Not sure why this person said yes.... They may have mis read the post.

14. bat95132 macrumors member

Take a moment to link to it is your sending people there......

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You might find more useful information. You could have prevented from posting the 1001st thread on this subject.

See my sig.

16. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Did they happen to explain why they don't know how to swap your Mini SIM for a Micro SIM? That's all you need for your line no other changes. Tell the RSC that you just want to replace your old Mini SIM with a shiny new Micro SIM. That might cause a few bells to go off....

Your husband has to do all the heavy lifting (not really), just his eligible upgrade and line get tweaked. He might need to go from a Mini SIM to a Mico SIM and then back to a Mini SIM. Once he has an active Mini SIM back in his standard phone, it will be very easy to drop the new data plan that was added by the pre-order / activation process if someone did not get the manual activation correct.

Dave