swapping sims between Android and iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FortWorthMac, Jun 23, 2015.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Hey all, quick question.

I have both a Galaxy S6 and iPhone 6 Plus. Is it as simple as swapping sim cards on each device to change one's phone number to the device? Or does ATT have to do something on their end to then make it work?

I'm asking here instead of trying first as can't afford to be down my primary number should this disable the number for some reason.

Thanks,
    David

2. co.ag.2005 macrumors 65816

co.ag.2005

In my experience, sim swapping just works. However, AT&T categorizes the data plans between Android and iPhones as something slightly different. While you'll get data (and your same data if that make sense), calls, text, etc. I have noticed that when I go back to an iPhone after a certain period of being with the Android phone that things like personal hotspot, etc. won't work until I call AT&T and they provision my sim back to the iPhone data plan. All in all it works, and I've done it a lot, I've just noticed this one "issue" from time to time.

I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences but this is what I've noticed.

3. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I had an AT&T SIM that was activated in a Note 4. Whenever I would try and use that SIM in my 6+, it would work, but notifications would never come through on the 6+ unless I turned on WiFi.

I've never had that problem using T-Mobile SIMs on either of my phones which are unlocked.

4. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay thanks. And so far so good. Guess tomorrow will be the big test.

Thanks for the info guys...