Swapping SIMs, new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Kinkade, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Kinkade macrumors member

I'm getting a 8gb to replace my 4gb and I woundered if its as simple as taking my current sim and putting it in the new phone?

From what I could find, that would activate the new one, but I wanted to find out from someone who actually gas done this.

2. attadj macrumors member

3. unity macrumors 6502a

It should work since its an iPhone activated SIM card, you *may* have to connect it to iTunes, but I dont think so.

4. brn2prgrm macrumors member

It is fairly straightforward. You'll need to put your old SIM in the new iPhone and connect it to iTunes. The iTunes activation prompts will ask to verify your phone number, billing zip code and last 4 digits of your SSN. After this, it will prompt you to re-select your data and text messaging plans and lastly ask for your iTunes Account information. Once this is done, iTunes will ask if you would like to restore your new iPhone with the backup it last created with your old phone. This will then copy all your settings, wallpaper, text messages and notes back over.

5. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

^^ yep. Just swapping sims wont activate a new phone. You have to activate the new one through iTunes by verifing your social and zip code. And God forbid you are using the 1st iPhone on a prepaid plan the iTunes re- activation wont work at all.

6. Kinkade thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help. I will bring my laptop with me so I can do it there.

I'll have to hide it though; its a windows laptop. It was a suprise pressent so I didn't have the choice. People might think I'm one of them PC people if they see it. I could go home and activate it on the mac, but I'm to lazy.

7. elcerrito494 macrumors member

Does it cost any money to activate the new phone? Because I'm doing the same thing here...

8. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

No it should not cost you anything you are just restoring the setting from your previous iPhone.