Swapping SSD/HDD from 13" MBP (Early 2011) to Another MBP (15" Late 2011)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xhendrixz, Oct 7, 2012.

1. xhendrixz macrumors newbie

I just recently installed a SSD into my 13" Early 2011 MBP. I have upgraded to the 15" Late 2011 MBP and I wanted to know if I could take out my SSD from my 13" into my 15". Is it that simple to just do that? Would it work?

I read a few articles stating if it has been the new MBP 2012, the drivers and graphics wouldn't be compatible. Theoretically, I think it would work but I don't want to try and mess anything up.

Also, would my old HDD from my 13" (320GB Transcend) work in my 15" MBP if I was to just plug it in?

Thanks for any info in advance.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

To all your questions, there shouldn't be a problem, since the hardware is pretty much the same.

If it was an older machine, lets say one from 2006-2007 with Snow Leopard, and put the SSD-HDD in a brand new MBP then there would be a problem since SL does not run on the new MBP's.

3. xhendrixz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply justperry. Appreciate it! and I apologize if the question has been asked or is a "dumb question".

So, to further my steps, do I need to install Mountain Lion on the 15" MBP before I switch the SSD into the 15"? I'm kind of technologically inept.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

You could use use the SSD from the 13'' in the 15''. It's the same form factor in any sized notebook.

If by "plug in" you mean use your old HDD as a backup disk then yes, you would just need a 2.5'' enclosure. It would work if you were to install it as the primary HDD too.

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

What is on the 13", I am pretty sure it will run pretty much any OS X
    I just looked in Mactracker, the 13" came with 10.6.6 or 10.6.7 so it will run on the 15"
    Up to you if you want to install Mountain Lion, it will run ML..

Mactracker is a free Application, it shows you pretty much all information on all stuff Apple ever released.

Edit: For instructions on how to remove the SSD-HDD and install it in the other one, go over to ifixit, they have good guides on how to.

6. xhendrixz thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks for the replies guys!

Dark Void, awesome avatar lol