Swapping SSDs in 13" & 15" rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gametime10, Jun 4, 2013.

1. gametime10 macrumors regular

I'm upgrading from a 13" rMBP to a 15" rMBP w/ 16GB SDRAM. I had a 512GB SSD in the 13" and a 256GB SSD in the 15", so I decided to swap the SSD's since I'm keeping the 15" and trying to sell the 13". Since these are two different models of the rMBP, I was all ready to do a full factory restore after the swap, but then I booted the 15" rMBP and it booted just fine. Checking system information, system settings, etc... everything seems to be working right and recognizing the right hardware. Same for the 13". I had to re-authorize my iTunes, but that wasn't a big deal (and I was able to de-authorize my account from the 13" after the swap).

I'm pleasantly surprised that it all worked so easily. Does anyone know any reason why I should do a full restore?

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Well you've always been able to swap HDD's in previous MBP's so I see no reason to do differently for an SSD :D

Unless you start having problems I see no reason why you should.

If I were to have some freezing problem that would be the first thing I think of

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well just a heads up once your swap the SSD, the warranty on the SSD is effectively void.

That's not to say it'll malfunction anytime soon if at all, but it's something to consider... and to disclose to whoever you're selling to.

4. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

isn't that you can actually replace the old ssd back to the machine and send it for warranty?

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Not if the OP sells his 13" MacBook Pro with his old SSD in it. ;)

6. gametime10 thread starter macrumors regular

I was also able to get the Boot Camp Windows partition up an running without needing to a do a full restore. All I had to do was download the Boot Camp drivers for the 15" rMBP w/ Boot Camp Assistant, boot into Windows, and then update the nVidia graphics driver. This saved me a ton of time. Hope this information helps someone in the future.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

SSD can be replaced on any rMBP???? I thought they are all soldered??? :apple:

8. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

off course you can

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

so I hope it is not too hard to fix it myself or take it to Apple store? :apple:

10. gametime10 thread starter macrumors regular

11. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

12. gametime10 thread starter macrumors regular

OWC is a good. If you want a cheaper solution, try eBay (search for "512GB SSD Retina" or something like that). I was able to buy mine for $400. I've seen auctions go for lower.

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Thanks I will check with ebay someday. :apple: