Swatch Working on Apple Watch Competitor With Custom-Made OS and Better Battery Life

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 17, 2017.

1. MacCurry macrumors 6502

It isn't about beating AAPL, it is about not losing more market share or sales of existing customers by responding to market forces. Swatch will have to segment. Some inexpensive watches between $100-$200 and then an upper end line over $500 with their Tissot brand. Further, MANY DO NOT LIKE THE APPLE WATCH DESIGN. They want something different and Swatch's offerings may appeal to them.

We've seen this before when quartz watches took the place of mechanical watches, sales of older mechanical watches dropped. Similarly, we now see smart watches taking the place of inexpensive quartz watches.

2. Precision Gem macrumors 6502

Precision Gem

I would never sleep with a watch on. I never really thought of sleeping as part of my work out. I suppose you could wear the watch during sex, then take it off to sleep?

As far at traveling, yes I travel a lot, and depend on my watch as a night stand alarm clock. Much better than fumbling with the hotel clock to correct the time on it and set an alarm.

I would think those who want to sleep with a watch on would be the minority of users.

3. MacCurry macrumors 6502

People travel domestically and internationally and the watch doesn't come off for several days at a time. The strap and case become part of you and should be comfortable as such. In this regard the Apple Watch is very comfortable compared to most Casio, Citizen and Seiko watches that I have.

Sleep tracking is a big feature of smart watches. You can do that with the Apple Watch, but you need to sync two watches to your phone. One for day and one for night. And yes, I do wear my watch during <ahem ahem>. I can brag to my wife that I last more than 2 minutes. :)

4. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

Excatly! The traditional Longines Hydroconguest, Rolex submarine, Tag Heuer Aquaracer or more complex looking Carrera appeal to many people.

There are already smartwatches from swiss watch companies:
    - frederique constant horological smartwatch
    - alpina smartwatch
    - tag heuer connected (that can be replaced by a traditional watch after two years)