iPhone XR Sweat and XR

TheBrokenBee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2016
It’s a hot summer here. I was carrying my iPhone in the pocket when I pulled it out a few minutes later there was condensation/sweat on the backside of the case and the camera lens. Is that damaging to the phone? Should I be worried?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
It’s a hot summer here. I was carrying my iPhone in the pocket when I pulled it out a few minutes later there was condensation/sweat on the backside of the case and the camera lens. Is that damaging to the phone? Should I be worried?
What exactly would you worry about? If it’s on the case, then it’s not a problem, but on the camera lens cover, then just wipe it off. As long as no condensation is building behind the camera lens cover or affecting photo’s, then you have nothing to be concerned with.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If your phone has condensation on it from the heat and being in your pocket, you need to come up with a plan to prevent that, as the water sensors in the phone might get triggered, not to mention possible damage (at some point to the phone hardware).

Water resistance is not static. It can, and often does degrade over time with use and the conditions surrounding usage.

Consider a ziplock bag.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
If your phone has condensation on it from the heat and being in your pocket, you need to come up with a plan to prevent that, as the water sensors in the phone might get triggered, not to mention possible damage (at some point to the phone hardware).

Water resistance is not static. It can, and often does degrade over time with use and the conditions surrounding usage.

Consider a ziplock bag.
Carry a phone inside a ziplock bag inside your pocket?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I do that a lot during the summer when I am running. It keeps the phone from getting wet from sweat or rain.
I can understand when running, a ziplock back would make sense in that situation, but just for ‘everyday carrying’ a phone in the pocket with a Ziplock bag? That’s a bit extreme and I don’t think a ziplock back is necessary. The OP is being slightly pedantic, just remove the phone from your pocket and wipe it down variably. It really is a non-issue, as moisture _should_ not pose a problem when in the pocket.

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I can understand when running, a ziplock back would make sense in that situation, but just for ‘everyday carrying’ a phone in the pocket with Apple. Ziplock bag? That’s a bit extreme and I don’t think A ziplock back is necessary. The OP is being slightly pedantic, just remove the phone from your pocket and wipe it down variably. It really is a non-issue, as moisture _should_ not pose a problem when in the pocket.
The OP is walking around in summer with the phone in his pocket and the phone is getting condensation on it. A ziplock bag in that instance makes sense. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend a ziplock bag, especially all the time.

If the OP wants to take the risk of tripping sensors or damaging the phone, he is welcome to take the risk.

Reactions: ericwn

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
The OP is walking around in summer with the phone in his pocket and the phone is getting condensation on it. A ziplock bag in that instance makes sense.
I can appreciate your suggestion, but let’s exacerbate by saying we need to carry a phone in a Ziploc bag all the time during the summer. As I said, you can take the phone out of your pocket, inspect it and wipe it down if need be. (Keep in mind, the phone has protection, because it’s already in a case.) If you consider what iPhones are exposed to on a daily basis in various environments, they are way more resilient they are not receiving credit for.

Last edited:

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
I can appreciate your suggestion, but let’s exacerbate by saying we need to carry a phone in a Ziploc bag all the time during the summer. As I said, you can take the phone out of your pocket, inspect it and wipe it down if need be. (Keep in mind, the phone has protection, because it’s already in a case.) If you consider what iPhones are exposed to a daily basis in various environments, they are way more resilient that they are not receiving credit for.
I didn't say all the time regardless. You read my post that way. if the OP is experiencing the problem every day his time of year, then I recommend using the bag until the problem is no more.

Reactions: ericwn