sweaty cyclists/exercisers..... how do you protect your iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by caligurl, Jun 20, 2009.

1. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

do you use a specific case? put it in a plastic bag before putting it in your jersey pocket? (or other pocket if not a cyclist?)

since the moisture sensors are so sentitive i'm a little paranoid about our phones being voided from a little sweat (ick!)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't take my iPhone with me when I exercise, I leave it home or in the gym locker for the very reason you're asking. I don't want to break it while running or get it sweaty.

3. bairda macrumors newbie

Otterbox Defender:
    http://www.otterbox.com/iphone-cases/iphone-3g-defender-case/

Practically indestructible, water/sweat resistant (short of immersing it in water completely), easy access to all ports.

They also sell an arm band for running.

Have used it for Duathlon/Tri/Ironman training and it is by far the best iphone case for training.

-Alex-

4. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

I just used a silicone case for my 1st gen iphone and now for my 3G iphone and never had a problem with moisture/sweat, I slip it in the rear pocket and the silicone case also helps keep it in the pocket while going over rough tracks - MTBiker here :) While flatwater Kayaking I slip the iPhone in a small water resistant case to keep splashing water away from the phone.

I enjoy listening to music while exercising but cant stand wired headphones, now that to me is a HUGE problem and I hope to solve with bluetooth headphones when more become available.

bairda + 1 on the Otterbox Defender Case, I use this case for my job only to protect the phone from knocks/bumps/dust etc etc - toughest case available. Dua/Triathlon training, now that brings back memories :)

5. caligurl thread starter macrumors 68030

caligurl

that's what we were thinking..... use our pretty and sleeker cases for work, shopping, etc.... and buy and otterbox for cycling..... but of course i wanted to come here and ask those of you that have had iphones and "in the field" application what you've been using/doing!

sooooooooooo..... let me ask this aboutt he otterbox..... moisture RESISTANT..... what do you do if you're pretty sure it's going to rain while your out there? is the case enough then (to protect against rain vs just sweat)? or do you then need to protect it in a plastic bag? last weekend we ended up in drizzle and my old phone handled that just fine.... i never even though about it but the iphone.... not so sure i wouldn't have been freaking out!?!

mayflynn.... i always take my phone with me when i go out on the bike.... i'm too paranoid not to! :eek: :eek: (of course the phone does me no good when i'm riding in areas with no phone access...) i want to know if my bike breaks (it has) or some creep appears to be stalking me (they "have" but i think it was more paranoia than really being a creep!) or i need an excuse to turn around and go home early :rolleyes: so i call hubby and whine that i'm tired/sore/pick your word.... :p

6. telefono macrumors 6502

telefono

The Otterbox Defender is better than a plain silicone case for exercising and protecting the phone from bumps/knocks sweat etc, I just don't like the extra bulk while on the bike. If you like lazing around at the beach its great keeping the sand out as the case has rubber boots that cover the headphone jack, usb connector and the speakers are also covered with a thin film.
    I used it once for kayaking and thought it would be water resistant but found water droplets can get through, so now I put the iphone in a water resistant case and never worry about it.
    If the bulk doesn't bother you it would be perfect for cycling. If I come across heavy rain while cycling I just put the phone in my waterproof ortlieb bicycle seat bag and ride without music :(

7. fredf macrumors 6502

8. mpdrouin macrumors newbie

Man, I work in construction and that case will be perfect. All my phones get destroyed in about a week on a job site. And it will be perfect for when my 12 year old disappears with the phone in her room for hours. Thanks for the link.

9. bairda macrumors newbie

My experience out on bike or run training is that short of TOTAL immersion, the defender will keep your Iphone dry. I have had it out in drizzle to light rain and snow with no problems. I have never toughed it out in a cloud burst (I usually seek cover if there is a chance of lightning), so I can't say what a gulley washer would do to it. However, short of that, I think it will do the job.

I have also had my iphone fly off my bike (and my motorcycle!) at upwards of 30 mph, hit the pavement and go skeetering (word?) across the pavement with no effect using this case. No damage to the Iphone. The rubber on the case was a little scratched, but that is what it is there for. I wouldn't want this happening often, but I like the feeling of knowing that if it does, it won't kill the phone.

One last thing is Otterbox's customer service. It is outstanding. I ripped the rubber up near the headphone about 10 months after I got the 3g defender. I called Otterbox who immediately replaced the entire case without question without any charge to me.

I don't normally sing the praises of a company's products, but I gotta hand it to otterbox. They make a great product that does exactly what it is advertised to do and support it completely.

The Defender is a HUGE case. Any pretense of aesthetics are out the window when you put it on your Iphone. Those great, sleek looks you bought your Iphone for? Gone. But, this case will protect your Iphone from almost every potential hazard. For an accident prone athlete like me, that is exactly what I am looking for. Looks be damned!
    -Alex-

PS - One thing that I did forget to add and it might me a deal breaker for some. The connector port on the bottom of the defender case is VERY tight. It will fit the charging/connection dongle that came with the Iphone, but very few accessories will extend enough or are slim enough to make a tight connection or any connection at all. There are two solutions to this if you decide to get the case. The first is to get the outrageously priced Sendstation Dock Extender (http://apsprostore.com/sendstation-dock-extender-white-p-984.html?currency=USD) and then use a dremel tool to shave the extender down to fit the opening on the Defender ( you will also need to widen the defender opening the same way). OR use a dremel tool to shave your accessory connectors to fit up through the defender opening. BTW...did I mention that this was a PITA? There is no easy fix for this unless otterbox redesigns the case or adds an accessory for the Defender. If you don't need any external accessories that use the port, then you are good to go. If you do, then please remember this before you buy!