Swedish consumer commission looking into Telia's iPhone contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frosse, Jul 10, 2008.

1. frosse macrumors 6502a

As some of you might know Telia is the exclusive carrier in Sweden among other countries and for the iPhone they offer either 18 or 24 months of contract. No prepaid option what so ever.

I heard on the news today that the Swedish consumer commission (who looks after consumer rights) is currently looking into Telia's deal where only a contract is available. Supposedly this may be in conflict with European regulations. A representative of the commission said that Telia should either offer a shorter contract time (max 6 monts) or a prepaid option if the commission decides to take action.

For swedes or ppl who understands swedish you can watch the story here.

2. jazz4ivo macrumors newbie

!!!

FANTASTIC!!!

My wife is Swedish so we moved from England to Sweden and I was shocked when Telia announced their overpriced 18-24m iPhone 3G contracts and no PAYG option either. And I thought O2 are ripping me off... makes me wish I'm back in the UK now :confused:

That's one thing I like about the EU... I hope they force the whole of Europe to do offer PAYG or short term contracts!

3. samab macrumors 6502a

The first thing Swedish people should do --- is to look at how the idiotic PTS handled the 3G "beauty contest. PTS doesn't dare to talk about "beauty contests" anymore --- it's been all spectrum auctions for the last couple of years now.

Prices would have been a lot better if Orange didn't give back the fourth 3G license.

4. frosse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Of course there are downsides to this aswell. Although its the same money in the end a shorter contract time leads to a higher price per month which might be tough for a lot of ppl, especially young customers.

But I dont care, a 6 month contract would be great for me :)