Sweeney Todd: The Demon Thread of MacRumors

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by IJ Reilly, Dec 31, 2007.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

We marched out to the theater last night to view "Sweeney Todd." I'm not sure it was completely worth $9.50 and sitting through a full half-hour of commercials and coming attractions, but it was a pretty good movie all told. The film didn't much resemble the original Stephen Sondheim operetta, as I remember it from TV many years ago, but the film was just as strange as the stage production, in its own way. Tim Burton certainly put his own stamp on the piece. We learn that Johnny Depp can't sing, but oddly enough, it really doesn't seem to matter.

Has anyone else seen this film? Thoughts?

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I liked the film...great performance from Johnny Depp once again(Not the singing though) I came into the movie expecting to see alot of the red stuff and I wasn't disappointed;)

Bless

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Saw it last night. I hate musicals, but I thought it was great. And I thought Johnny Depp sang just fine. As a matter of fact, some of his singing reminded me of Bowie.

4. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

One of the reviewers said that at first he was afraid Depp would turn it into "Sweeney Manilow," a thought which I have to admit crossed my mind a couple of times during the first half hour or so. A little too sweet for the part, I thought, at least in the beginning. (I'll leave the Bowie comparison alone, since I've never been a fan.)

Burton really amplified the gore. In the stage version, this was more in the imagination. Not sure how I feel about that. The dark humor it seems was also played down somewhat in the movie.

5. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

My girlfriend wants to see it, and is going to be dragging me to see it this weekend. Is it good? I get queasy quite easily, how's the level of gore?

I might spend the whole movie with my face embedded in my girlfriends shoulder if it's too bad. :eek:

6. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's plenty gory. You'll know when to grab for your girlfriend's shoulder.

Interesting relationship you got there. ;)

7. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Oh great... :eek:

Are you mocking me? :p

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Sorry, I couldn't get past this part. It costs $6 US to go to the "expensive movie" (after 6 pm)

In an attempt to make this post on topic, I do hope to see this movie soon. After all, it is Johnny Depp :eek:

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Just got back from it and I liked it. I'm not much into musicals, but I thought the whole cast did a good job and Depp and Carter have a good chemistry on screen. I haven't seen the play though so I can't compare it on those terms. I thought the art direction, wardrobe and make-up were very well done and served the film nicely.

Lethal

10. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Johnny Depp did a great job Imo... his vocal performance was better than expected. The film was gruesome, but one of the more memorable Tim Burton films I have seen.

11. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Midwest != California, I guess :p

Sounds too bloody for me, I think I'll likely pass.

12. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I've described it to friends as: "Oddly good, but highly dysfunctional."

There was plenty gore but the blood didn't and wasn't meant to looks real. It's like wax. I actually like the performance/singing of Depp, and was actually surprised to find out it was a musical because I had no idea going into it.
    If you like Tim Burton, you'll love the movie because it is style all the way. And if you like happy endings, this might not be for you.;)

13. madfresh macrumors regular

I read the book in class a few years ago. I might go and see this film.

14. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No, not at all. You've got to admit, it is a little unusual for the girl to have more tolerance for screen gore than the guy. ;)

Sadly, full freight where I live (Southern California) is now $9.50. The senior price is $6.00. And you get to watch all those commercials and coming attractions. Such a deal.

Yes, be forewarned -- it is a tragedy. A morality tale wrapped in black humor and song. Speaking of which, the Stephen Sondheim music is still the real star of the show. Sondheim is the greatest living genius of musical theater. I think it's worth seeing if only for the music. Just try to forget all that forgettable junk Andrew Lloyd Weber has been recycling from one show to the next and enjoy the real article. A better reason to go than to see Johnny Depp, IMO.

15. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Me and a friend wanted to see it but none of the cinemas here got it :rolleyes:

16. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I was interviewed several weeks ago for one of the DVD's 'special features.' I'm something of an authority on Grand Guignol theatre, which which was a huge influence on both the stage production and the film.

Of course, now that I've mentioned it publicly, I'm sure all of my footage will end up on the cutting room floor. :(

17. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That's cool. You'll have to let us know!

18. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Good. I'm watching you IJ Reilly! :cool:

She's a very unusual girl, and I'm a very unusual guy. I guess that's why we get along so well... :)

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Im sure there are other places you can embed your face if you ask her nicely.:p

20. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Thanks for the idea.... :D

21. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I finally went last night with my girlfriend. You can read my full thoughts on my blog.

22. ZenErik macrumors 6502

I have not scene this yet, but the actual musical is lovely. The music sounds very Ravel and Debussy influenced. 2 of my favorite composers.