Sweet. Defective 3GS!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mavis, Jul 2, 2009.

1. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C97d Safari/528.16)

You gotta love the non-existent quality control at Foxconn or wherever these iPhones are made. Turns out my new 32GB 3GS has a defect after all. No cracks, no dust under the glass, no light leak, no overheating - I knew it was too good to be true. There's a short in the headphone jack. :rolleyes:

I'd been using my Motorola S605 so I hadn't noticed the short until last night, but I think I'm going to hold off on exchanging it just yet - I kinda want to see how scratch-resistant this oleophobic coating is ... :)

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Sweet. Already a thread on this.

The first Razr Verizon gave me the center button key had already fallen off... Apparently Motorola forgot to go to 1st grade and never learned how to use glue.

I'm kidding, well it happened, but... :)

3. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C97d Safari/528.16)

Oh no, the cracks are another issue entirely. This one is a first for me: a short in the headphone jack. I went through eight 3G's last year, but never had one where the headphone jack was broken. Good stuff.

4. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

8 3G's? Wow, you are really picky :p

5. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Defective battery, no audio on incoming calls, and defective RAM, among others. If you call wanting a working telephone "picky" then I'm guilty as charged. ;)

6. I3eXa macrumors 6502

defective battery and RAM??? How do you figure that? Running slow?? Or do you have benchmark software for the iphone???

7. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

EIGHT 3G's last year and how many 3GS's will be this year? :rolleyes:

Perhaps, you and iPhone just don't match.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

But the dust under his screen and the 0.0009mm light leak could have potentially caused cancer.

9. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Let's see, defective battery. My phone would show the 'fully charged' icon when plugged into a power source, even when the battery was nearly dead. So it just wouldn't charge. I restored two or three times, and so did the people at the Genius Bar. Defective battery, according to them.*

The RAM problem was fun, too. After suffering from numerous ALoD's (google it if you're interested) I started experiencing image corruption when taking pictures. You know, weird stuff - half of the picture would be inverted, flipped, opposite colors, etc. That kind of stuff. The people at AppleCare told me it sounded like defective RAM/memory, and when I took it to the Genius Bar, they agreed. Numerous restores did not help. Hardware problem.*

That's cute, but who's talking about dust and light leaks here? I'm talking about a faulty headphone jack on my 3GS. How do you get 'dust and light leaks' from that? :confused:

10. moka macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

So back on topic, explain more on the Jack short, what's up with that? I might have a similar issue sometimes when I plug my headphones in the sound is distorted until I unplug them and plug them back again.

11. Switz213 macrumors 6502

Thats only 2/8.

12. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Yeah, on my 3GS it cuts out when I touch/move the headphone jack. Like when I put the phone in my pocket (bottom down, of course) ... The headphones (Apple's new IEM's) are fine in my iPod touch and my wife's 3GS, so I know it's not them. Anyway the sound cuts out, sometimes completely, and once it even disconnected them entirely - they were still plugged in but the iPhone couldn't detect them. Faulty jack, from the looks of it. Is yours doing something similar?

13. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

OP, where did all these 8 3G's happen? Tokyo, Japan? Or, in US?

14. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

So you want a full history of my iPhone 3G warranty replacements? PM me if you're really that interested. I'd like to keep this thread (about my defective 3GS) somewhat on-topic. Thanks. ;)

15. moka macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Ok, well so far all I have experienced is the sound distortion, three times. Twice with the iphone Jack, I can listen to the music but it's very distorted, once while connected to external Altec Lansing speakers which is when it started. A simple unplug and plug back in solved the issue.

So I'm a little confused about my issue... If it gets worse anytime soon I'll have to visit the genius bar I guess... but i have never experienced the sound completely cutting off..

anyone experiencing anything like this?

16. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Mavis...

Hmm.. I wonder how many 3Gⓢ you'll go through before finding one that's 100% perfect!!
    I'm on my second sharp handset since June!! Thankfully docomo ain't charging me :)

17. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Honestly, I'm not worried about 100% perfect anymore. With the iPhone, that's just not gonna happen!! All I want is a phone that works correctly. :(

18. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

On topic, OP, do you keep headphones plugged in while your phone is in your pocket? Maybe having it plugged in and moving around in your pocket has jarred the connectors on the inside of the headphone port loose? Just a thought.

19. Planky macrumors regular

I had something similar, my headphones would suddenly crackle and go to maximum volume. Most startling! Sometimes Voice Control would start up whilst listening to music. I tried lots of different headphones and it did it with all of them. O2 swapped it for a new one which has been fine so far.

20. drew68 macrumors newbie

I would get it exchanged, the problem will only get worse. I'm just happy mine has none of the issues I am reading about.

21. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Yes, I occasionally keep it plugged in when it's in my pocket, although this is usually done when I'm wearing khakis (long, straight pockets) so it's not really bending or getting pushed around too much in there.

22. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

no man, if it's broke it's broke, but I think the point others were making is that u 8 had phones in a year, andmostget 1, maybe 2 and they're cool.

I honestly do not think I have heard of someone getting that many phones in a year. U must have some bad karma or something like that going on.

What were the problems with each of those phones?

23. trssho macrumors 6502

Eight....that is ridiculous. Talk about anal. Oh no, my button is one micron off....out of one million pixels, two are dead. Get real!

24. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

I agree! So far I've had defective batteries, no phone audio, defective RAM, numerous case cracks, dead pixels, and now a headphone jack with a short. :(

25. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

People here are being too hard on the OP. We all paid for a phone that we expect to meet certain quality standards. If the OP finds fault with his phone(s) he has every right to have it exchanged. I also believe the OP when he said he's returned his phone for not just the cracking issues but also for many problems that sometime do accompany REFURBISHED products.

I, myself, have been through 4 iPhone 3G's and will be receiving my second iPhone 3GS on Monday. My original iPhone 3G had a crack right through the plastic affecting the vibrate switch. All of the refurbished units I received had problems too - hairline cracks, wifi not working with one of them, and severe light leakage issues making it annoying to use the phone in the dark.

If the OP wants to spend time and energy making sure he gets the product he thought he was initially paying for then all the power to him. Apple needs to smarten up with these phones, and returning defective units is the best way to give them that message.