Sweet find at Goodwill - Fully loaded IIgs

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by F. Hopper, Oct 16, 2008.

1. F. Hopper macrumors member

F. Hopper

I got ahold of a pretty neat find a while back at our local Goodwill, a set of 2 Apple IIgs units and an Macintosh IIsi.

I later discovered that one of the 2 IIgs's wasn't a normal unit, As it would turn out its a "limited edition Woz" fully loaded with a 256k RamFast SCSI card, the zip chip processor expansion, a video card supporting a normal PC 15 pin VGA monitor, the RAM expansion board, something called a "quickie controller" which i'm not sure what is for yet, and some kind of audio controller board.

I've just recently managed to get the unit booted up to GS/OS from floppy, i've heard that one can use a ZIP 100 SCSI drive like a hard disk for the IIgs but haven't found out how..

2. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

This is for the Vitesse Quickie hand scanner. It's one of the early scanners that you would drag down across the page.
    Get it plugged into your SCSI chain. With GSOS booted from floppies, you can format the ZIP cartridge and install GSOS on it.

[drool]
    Nice! I've rummaged around my local Goodwill several times now; closest I've come is a 5-1/4" disk holder.
    [/drool]

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

4. F. Hopper thread starter macrumors member

F. Hopper

fun times, indeed.. I was fortunate enough to get a 3 1/2 drive and 5 1/4 drive as well, but I actually had to disassemble the old 3 1/2 inch drive and clean the thing out before it would read correctly..

Last I tried formatting a zip 100 it didn't see it as a valid drive to format.. Or maybe there's some hardware setup wrong..

5. Mac SK macrumors member

I saw like a Centris 650 at the thrift store last week for $5.00.;)

6. krye macrumors 68000

krye

7. miiles macrumors regular

Please?

8. F. Hopper thread starter macrumors member

F. Hopper

I'll see what I can do about those setup pics, gotta clear a bunch of clutter and find a camera cable..

9. keyboard queen macrumors newbie

10. F. Hopper thread starter macrumors member

F. Hopper

11. 150hp macrumors regular

12. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

Computers have come a long way in 15 years. I wouldn't even want to get inside one of those things. I like seeing other peoples collections of their vintage Macs but would never attempt to fix one up myself. Only exception is the cube and I have to keep myself from buying one on ebay everytime I fall into a couple hundred dollars.

13. F. Hopper thread starter macrumors member

F. Hopper

just a quick update on this unit, I decided to get this sweet rig fired up again today and have managed to finally get GS/OS installed and booted from a Zip 100 drive. Now I can really take this thing for a ride.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Cool find.

I remember when those were state of the art. Times have sure changed.

That is nice. :)

15. F. Hopper thread starter macrumors member

F. Hopper

I'm thinking about putting a fan in this thing somewhere.. seems to start acting erratic and not starting up properly when it runs a while and gets hot.. I see there's a fan plug in the back center of the system board, just wonder what voltage it is.. guess its time to get a voltmeter and check it out.

16. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Yeah, no question that the Woz-signed unit is cool!

I've got a soft spot for the IIsi--it was my first computer, and I always thought it had an appealing, sleek design. My mom tossed mine (along with keyboard, mouse, and matching color monitor) without asking me when I went away to college :( I'd even kept them out of the sun their whole lives, so the plastics were still gray...

17. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

The closest things I can find to electronics at my local goodwill is Record players and crappy speakers that are bent out of shape.

18. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I have a garage full of Apple computers and the Apple IIGS was the first Apple that I ever used and I don't have one...I need to find new goodwill stores!