Sweet home audio setups using itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bomadian, Feb 12, 2008.

1. bomadian macrumors member

Does anyone have a really cool setup for wirelessly listening to itunes music on a hi-fi? I was hoping to get some gear and was wondering about amps, receivers, speakers and sending itunes music through them wirelessly. Any recommendations?

2. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

got my wife this for christmas --- works quite well.

3. Barry N macrumors member

Barry N

Have had fairly good success with http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/rocketfm
    I can transmit my iTunes music to my home theatre system 30' away,as well also through a wall to my outside stereo in the garage..so I have tunes while I'm cleaning the car. It even picks up a signal in my upstairs bedroom radio at least 60' away.

4. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

the easiest setup is to get an airport express and plug in your hi-fi system to that (it handles both analog and optical depending on your tastes) If you have an iPhone or iPod touch you can use a program called Signal to remotely control your iTunes wherever you are. you can also use Salling Clicker with many mobile devices to control iTunes. There is also a new feature with the :apple:TV that allows you to stream music to it in the same way of streaming music to the airport express. The rest of the hi-fi system is up to you, there are so many number of components you can use to set up a system, and huge ranges in price from a couple hundred bucks to tens of thousands of dollars for true audiophiles.

5. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi Bomadian,

I think it really depends on your house, your stereo setup and what you'd like to do.

For me, my imac sits with all my music dstairs. I have a pair of audioengine usa speakers on a shelf upstairs and a stereo/tv system dstairs (not near the imac). I have the airport express base station dstairs and the aiport express with itunes upstairs, connected to the speakers. nothing is connected to the stereo/tv dstairs, but once I get a widescreen TV, I'll get an appletv in a heartbeat. I was going to get another AE, but now that the appleTV does the same thing (and more)...no need.

The sounds upstairs is fantastic through the AE. I also use my macbook pro upstairs in the kitchen for a variety of things, one of which is to access the imac's library and direct music to the audioengine speakers.

as for the rest of the gear, I've had my stereo stuff for about 6 years which is pretty much prehistoric the way things change. I'm seeing tinier speakers (wireless too) and different stereo decks - ie. mine won't do HDMI so i'll need a new deck if i wanted the best with a new tv).

the best thing to do is also visit a local audio/video store...not a big box store, but a local store dedicated to purely home entertainment. they'll have some great setups and they might not have apple stuff, but the rest of the gear will be great to see and hear.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Keebler

6. seeker777 macrumors member

seeker777

For my two cents, I'll vouch for the AE. Great sound through my home stereo, and easy set up.

7. bomadian thread starter macrumors member

Can I do the same thing with the Time Capsule? Just stick it next to my hi fi and stream music that way?

Thanks for the help, I will steer clear of best buy/circuit city for sure.

8. Keebler macrumors 68030

yup. the TC is the AEBS with hard drive backups.

glad to help. :)

9. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

The AEBS does not have audio out nor does it have airtunes capabilities. You have to get an Airport Express to do that.